These Healthy Turkey Meatballs with Italian Herbs are the perfect way to herb up your healthy menu plan. (heh, get it? Herb up?) Gluten free, dairy free (unless you choose the second option), and 5 minutes to prepare, these meatballs will be perfect for your clean eating weekend meal prep! Plus, the low cost ingredients will keep you right on budget. You will love this crazy healthy recipe!
Gluten Free Healthy Turkey Meatballs with Italian Herbs
I posted a picture of this recipe on Instagram, and it got such a response that I realized that I had to post it. I had originally planned on making these as beyond simple pesto turkey meatballs, but changed my mind when I decided that I wanted to have some fun with herbs and also make them a bit healthier.
I served these two ways: for Alex, with Cheese tortellini and pesto sauce; for me, with spaghetti squash and my quick mustard sauce. Both were equally delicious, and because I didn’t commit to the pesto within the meatballs, the flavor was easily adaptable for other sauces or the next day over salad for lunch!
All you need is an Italian herbs blend and ground turkey. These meatballs would also be delicious if made from ground pork or beef, but I love ground turkey. Often, people don’t like to use turkey because it can dry out, but if you cook it properly (as I will tell you how!), you will find these to be the most moist turkey meatballs you’ve ever had! PS, if you want to learn how to cook a moist oven roasted turkey, check out this post from Thanksgiving 2015.
Now, make sure that you add ground turkey to your weekend grocery list so that you can give these healthy turkey meatballs a go for the next week!
Healthy Turkey Meatballs with Italian Herbs (Gluten Free)
- 1 lb ground turkey (preferably organic and free range)
Italian Herb Blend
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp parsley
- 2 tsp basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flake
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 TBSP sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1-2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2-3 TBSP freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Mix herb blend in small ramekin, prepare optional ingredients, if desired.
- In medium bowl, add herb blend and optional ingredients to ground turkey in portions. Do not over mix–ingredients should be incorporated and mixed through, but not overworked.
- Form golf ball sized meatballs and place on plate. Cover meatball plate with plastic wrap and let sit for 5-15 minutes at least to allow to meld.
Cook the meatballs
- Turn oven to 350*F. Line a cookie sheet or lasagna pan with foil, pour 1/2 cup water or chicken broth (enough to coat the foil with a millimeter or so of liquid. Cover with foil and place in oven.
- Heat large saute pan over medium high heat on stove. Spray with cooking spray or oil of choice. In batches, sear meatballs on all sides over a period of 5 minutes. Pull back foil from oven pan, transfer meatballs and re-cover with foil. Finish baking in the oven for 10 minutes for each batch.
- Remove balls and serve! Balls should be firm, but not hard to touch.