This is going to be a dual post! I’m going to relink with #treatyourselftuesday for a part two–Lifting your spirits when your treat yourself. Today I am going to talk about the little things food-wise that I treat myself to every now and then.
Now, these are splurges for me largely for monetary reasons. I want to make very clear that I do not restrict these from my diet because I fear eating them–notice that ICE CREAM is not on my “splurge list”–I have it every night. I do, really. Some people have a glass of wine, or a Starbucks, daily; I have ice cream. Whole Foods’ salad bar is less a splurge monetarily if I ONLY get IT. But what is the likelihood of that???
I am one of those people who subscribes/prefers the “moderation” approach. That is not to say that I don’t binge every now and then, but I have found that I am much less likely to binge (on whatever it is: shopping, food, sleep, laziness, etc) when I partake in treats on a regular, but more manageable basis. It’s the classic, “don’t eliminate foods from your diet, you’ll find yourself going to town on them later,” theory.
So what are my “everyday” treats?
- Fancy Pantsy Coffee/Lots of Variety
- I L O V E coffee, but I do not ever drink full-strength regular. That would be dangerous for all involved. Rather, I create a mix of 3/4 decaf, 1/4 regular. Well, with the current cold weather and a heightened hankering for the yummy dark libation, I am getting to dabble in some fun flavors! I brew a big pot of quite strong joe and then work off of that for the next few days (dilute and then warm in micro).
- Kevita Sparkling Probiotic Drink
- This is my “Starbucks Splurge.” At $3-$4 (depending on where I buy it), and the rate at which I can down one, these are definitely a splurge. They were my long run treat during the summer and a treat-treat now that I am not training quite so long.
- Dang Coconut Chips
- These seem to just be hitting the blog pages, but I have long been a fan of the plain Dang chips and also the TJ’s version. The Dang ones are smoked, which add another layer of awesome. These things are basically crack so I don’t typically keep them in my pantry because I will hose them. I eat them by themselves and on pretty much anything that I am intending for consumption. Particularly ice cream.
- Maranatha Sunflower Seed Butter
- I don’t care for almond butter (womp womp, luckily I don’t have enough readers for this to affect my blog traffic!), but I love sunflower seed butter and the coconut/peanut Earth Balance. Every day one or the other finds its way into oats, onto toast/english muffins, and atop ice cream.
- Cool Whip
- Yes, it might kill me, and no, I don’t care. Put it in your greek yogurt, pumpkin puree, and on top of oatmeal. You are welcome.
- Bottled Soda
- We have a soda stream, and I try not to drink a lot of caffeine. Thus, a real Cherry Coke Zero is a beautiful thing. But more importantly, Diet Root Beer from a Coke Freestyle.
- Cracker Jack
- Now at treat status for the same reason as Dang. But can I just say that it makes the PERFECT post run refuel? Carbs, protein, fats, sugar. And if you look at the ingredients, they are very minimal and straightforward. Hooray for classic snacks!!!! And they are SOOOOOO CHEEEEEAAAPPPP. 3 for $1.50 and sometimes even less? Hellz yeah.
- Irene’s Biscotti
- Honestly maybe one of my favorite things ever. I might have to dedicate a post to this, honestly. The vanilla-pistachio is my favorite, then cranberry and chocolate almond, then assorted.
- Angus Roast Beef
- Can be kinda expensive, but freshly sliced…. HOLD ME.
- Whole Foods
- We all know why.
- Protein Bar Cherry Limeade Smoothies
- During the summer, I also would get Protein Bar’s Cherry Limeade smoothie, but at about $5 a pop, hahahahaha NOT HAPPENING. So I would make my own and scare the bejesus out of the cat 😀
- A Cocktail, Glass of Wine, Beer ALL TO MYSELF
- I can’t really drink that much at all, but I love alcoholic beverages. I worked at a wine bar for almost a year, and I learned so much about pairing and tasting and really utilizing your palate. Now that I work in an upscale Mexican restaurant, I am having to apply that knowledge to tequila. I have such respect for mixologists,I just wish that I could taste more of their wares!
I don’t like to pay for things that I can make myself, generally. Largely because I am somewhat cheap and also because I eat such simple food, and often have to have modifications, that it doesn’t make sense to me to pay for something I can make at home for cheaper and more to my liking. Kevita, sunflower butter, coconut chips? I can’t make those (or I’m not going to). So I will pony up every now and then for the pleasure. And because it’s not like I’m purchasing these items all the time, I don’t have to feel guilty when I do get them.
Talk to me, Goose:
What are some little treats that you allow yourself every now and then? What makes them treats? Does money factor into it? Or are your treats more diet-related?
Have you tried any of these products before?