Let’s talk vegan chorizo pumpkin quesadillas aka dinner tonight. I am so freaking pump(kin)ed about today’s post. Not only am I going to give you a little overview of my weekend in Milwaukee, but I am super excited to announce the commencement of Pumpkin Week 2015 and then to kick it all off with an AMAZING meatless meal idea featuring the vegetable of the moment!
RRCA Certification Course in Milwaukee
The big ticket item for my weekend was my RRCA Certification Course in Milwaukee. I am already a run coach and personal trainer, but I really wanted to take my education to the next level, and to start to make my coaching a business. As I just said, I will talk a bit more about the course and my future coaching plans soon, but I to say that I am excited about what is to come is a bit of an understatement. I woke up early Saturday morning to drive up to Milwaukee (about an hour and change from Chicago) and then we had class from 8 until 5. So much information, but truly so much inspiration for me to move forward in my coaching. I discovered such a passion for run coaching and coaching in general while working with my trainees this summer and my personal training clients that I now need to refine, repackage and bottle, and make available to people. Going to the course was conclusive for me that this really is something that I want to be doing.
And what would a trip to Wisconsin be without a New Glarus Beer? I got the Pumpkin Pie Lust during my dinner at Cafe Beneliux, and I got a 6 pack of Spotted Cow to bring home. PS, Milwaukee is gorgeous.
But now, on to the big emphasis of this weekend!
#PumpkinWeek2015 October 18-23
Join 6 awesome bloggers as we share pumpkin recipes on our blogs and social media for one pumpkin-y week ending in a giant pumpkin recipe link-up on Friday!
- Amanda from Diary of a Semi-Health Nut | Instagram
- Susie from Suzlyfe | Instagram
- Erin from Table For Seven | Instagram
- Becky from Olives n Wine | Instagram
- Katie from Talk Less, Say More | Instagram
- Giselle from Diary of an Exsloth | Instagram
My first contribution is this a perfect healthy, fall inspired take on a comfort food classic!
Vegan Chorizo Pumpkin Quesadilla (Gluten Free)
I don’t do complicated food, but I do love fun food. In my post on reinventing snacking and how to make mundane food more interesting, I likened my cooking to an episode of Chopped and Semi-Homemade (but minus the Stepford Wife. I may be blond, but just NO). Alex’s schedule can be so complex that we can’t really meal plan–we more so need to have staples on hand at all times and then Chopped like figure out what to make with them. Sure, we have go-tos, but you can only have the same recipes so many times!
I don’t know why I didn’t think of this sooner: sub out the mashed sweet potato for pumpkin, then add vegan chorizo! This is a perfect recipe for dinner in a snap, and you can make as many or as few of them as you want! Not vegan? Use pepper jack cheese or sharp cheddar and then real chorizo. That said, I love my vegan chorizo, though–far less oil and splatter. These pumpkin chorizo quesadillas will blow your mind and your tastebuds out of the water! Even better? This is perfect for those who don’t really cook. All you have to do is saute some veggies. And boom. Winner winner, vegan chorizo pumpkin quesadilla dinner.
- 2 large burrito or fajita sized tortillas, gluten free
- 1-2 cups vegan shredded pepper jack cheese (or, if not vegan, pepper jack cheese) (optional)
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Chorizo, Gluten Free
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- Vegetable mix:**
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno or serrano pepper, diced, with seeds and ribs removed for less heat
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- salt, pepper
- Heat oven to 300*
- Whisk together spice mix in small bowl
- Combine pumpkin puree, soy chorizo, cheese (if using), and 1 T spice mixture in bowl.
- Over medium heat, saute vegetable mix (minus the tomatoes) with cooking spray.
- Warm tortillas in oven (no longer than 2 minutes).
- Combine vegetables and tomatoes with pumpkin, chorizo, and cheese mixture.
- Remove tortillas, rub one side of the tortilla with oil or cooking spray, and distribute filling on the non-greased side of each tortilla. Fold tortillas in half. Crisp in skillet over medium heat, flip after 2-3 minutes. After additional 2-3 minutes, put in oven while toasting the other quesadilla.
- Remove first quesadilla and put second in oven, plate the first, remove and plate the second.
- Serve with your favorite salsa, hot sauce, and maybe some avocado!
Choriz-omg! #Vegan Chorizo #Pumpkin Quesadillas to kick off #pumpkinweek2015! #glutenfree #recipe Click To Tweet
I’ve got some fun recipes coming at you this week–they definitely are definitely pumpkin… #likeaSuz 😀
What was the last simple swap that you made that transformed a recipe?
How would you fare on Chopped?
I’m also joining up with Tina and Deborah for Meatless Monday, Powered By BLING, Running on Happy & The Fit Foodie Mama for another round of Meatless Monday, and Fit Foodie Mama, Hello to Fit, Fairyburger, and Chocolate Runner Girl for Foodie Friday!