Life, Crohn's, Infertility

About My Lyfe

Running Tips and Fitness Advice

Let's Talk Running

Coach Suz Training

Work with Me!

Lyfe Marvelous Sweat Pink

Travel Frustrations Balanced by My Sweat Pink Fix


After missing Blogfest for the first time, I was feeling a bit bereft of my Sweat Pink ladies. Luckily, I had a quick trip out to San Francisco to help me fill my void! Find out what I got up to this weekend!

But first, I had to just get out to San Francisco, which turned out to be more than I bargained for, lol. First, the traffic on the way to the airport was just abysmal. Figuring that I would just do some work at the airport, I left a little early after my fabulous lunch with my visiting friend Sarah and her husband Joe (who had an amazing anniversary trip!). But I’m glad that I did–I got there at the time I had originally planned on.

The airport was insanity; the line for TSA was bananas. Luckily, I have TSA Precheck, but my phone (which increasingly became a problem for me this weekend), almost faked me out and prevented me from even showing my ticket! Finally, I was into and quickly through the line, only to them get stopped by security for a “quota” check (yeah, right). They kept me on the front side of security checkpoint with my stuff on the other side of it (it went through first) for over 5 minutes without even telling me why! I get that they have to do their job, but seriously? I’m a pretty willing participant. Finally, they took me through for an “electronics check.”

I’m really, really threatening.

Ok, so I’m through. I go and grab a coffee, head to the gate. Start doing a little work.

Annnnnnddddd the flight is delayed. We are already getting in late (especially considering the 2 hour time difference!), so I’m a bit miffed. But food fixes most things, right? IF YOU CAN GET IT.

I look up and, like a beacon of light in the night, I see a Farmer’s Fridge kiosk. SAVED. I head over, scope out options… and the screen won’t work. Seriously?

I walk back to my stuff, sit down, and contemplate my options. Death. Sacrifice. I look up and see it working for someone else! Ok, maybe it was just taking a break. I go back over to try again. It works! I make my selection, run my card, it tells me “Now Serving…” and……

Keeps saying “Now Serving.” WTF.I stand for 5 minutes and then, because this has already been one of those days, I call the service line. They are actually quite nice, apologize for the inconvenience, explain the issue (the system runs on WiFi, which is being spotty, something this girl understands), and refund my card. I tell them I want to try again.

And the same thing happens! Only this time it gets stuck on Processing.

I walk away in a huff, decide that I want to go the other way, turn around and start walking back the way I came… and the woman who was at the kiosk next to me tells me that my food came out! IT WOOORRRKKKED! The day is saved. This pregnant woman is assuaged for the moment.

And then they say that it is an older plane, and I text Alex that I love him and Yoshi loves him (just in case). But as soon as we are on board, I’m ok.

Until we get on the flight (delayed), and there is an engine problem. Can’t I catch a break?

The problem was solved quickly, luckily, but then we have to sit on the tarmac because of unknown issues before we finally set sail and make our way to San Francisco.

I had planned to use the flight to do work, but no wifi mean no working, so I spent the flight reading and chilling.

PS the American Terminal at San Francisco International is gorgeous. And has bulk candy. And yes, I got a bag and yes, I finished it before the weekend was over.

Next on my never ending tour? My Uber getting caught in the Giants’ baseball game traffic. I arrived at the hotel (a little inn in Point Richmond) at 10ish SF time, so way past my bedtime, and apparently past the manager’s bedtime, as I definitely woke her up. But the rooms were cute, the bed comfy, and soon I was collapsing into it!

I will recount the Empower Race Event on Wednesday, but it was fabulous–the Sweat Pink ladies did an amazing job, there was a great turnout, and I had a great time!

Yoshi was pretty hungry by the time we left, though–apparently a breakfast sandwich before I got there and plenty of goodies after running were just NOT enough. So I grabbed an early lunch, a lovely shower, and then a 2.5 hour nap!

When I arose from my slumber, I decided I should get out and explore the beautiful afternoon. I recon’ed with the Sweat Pink crew before heading into Berkeley to explore the campus and see what trouble I could get into!

Such a gorgeous campus, and what a cute town! After walking for a while, I set up shop in a Peets and hooked up my idiot phone to cruise IG and relax a little with a blackberry pomegranate iced tea (delicious).

I met up with the ladies later at Mua, a funky and fun restaurant in Oakland. We sat outside and enjoyed a number of small plates (all were delicious–grilled artichokes with garlic aioli, padron peppers, crispy polenta in tomato sauce, shiitake mushroom toasts, garlic prawns, and more!) and the ladies as well as two of the other blogger ambassadors who joined us (and were lovely) enjoyed some delectable looking cocktails. It was the perfect end to the day!

And then I went back to the hotel, got organized, and crashed.

Sunday morning, I woke up and headed back to the Starbucks for coffee and another breakfast sandwich before heading back to Berkeley to meet the ladies for a little trail running. Well, the plan was to do some trail running… until I realized that “trail running” meant running straight up the mountain behind Berkeley. This tired body said OH HELL NO, and I instead enjoyed a nice hike while Jamie, Liz, Nicci, and Jamie’s friend CJ (who had run a 50K the day before, natch) proved that they are far heartier lasses than I.

We went back to the house after and hung out for a bit, and that is when my phone really started to rebel. To the point that I knew I needed to try to deal with it rather than go in and enjoy the day with the ladies before my plane. So we had to split up while I took BART into the city to find an AT&T store, where I was basically redirected to my home store, so I’m going to go in and try to get the issue figured out today!

So back on BART I went and down to SFO to attempt to get on an earlier flight so that I wouldn’t be exhausted the next day. But that was NOT going to happen (FULL standby list), so I gave in and sat down to do work before my flight.

Which was delayed an hour. I honestly wasn’t surprised at all.

Remember: Nothing lasts forever. When was the last time you had to remind yourself to have perspective?

Moral of the story? Teleportation is very, very necessary. WILL SOMEONE PLEASE GET ON THAT.

Oh yeah, and we get to do all this again in two weeks for a wedding. At least I’ll have Alex with me then!

But in all, it was a great 36ish hours in the Bay Area, some great time with some amazing women, and Yoshi has now run his/her first race!

Spending the weekend with the @fitapproach ladies makes a bazillion #travel woes worth it! #sweatpink Click To Tweet

Also, bulk candy. WINNING.

I would also like to finish this story by saying that this travel experience was NOT terrible, just kind of hilarious in its misfortunes. Now, the time that we attempted to get to the East Coast for my mom’s birthday two years ago, now THAT was a travel experience! And I know that many of you have had it way worse!

Anyone else have any adventures this weekend? 

Likelihood that I have just as many adventures in 2 weeks when we try to travel to the wedding?

Previous Post Next Post

Have you read these gems?