This wholesome, hearty, and high protein banana nut bread is the perfect snack or breakfast bread to keep you full, satisfied, and happy! Gluten free options!
While I am off skittering about Lake Tahoe with Spyder for the weekend (have you been following me on Facebook Live and Instagram Stories? We are having so much fun!), I am bringing to you a recipe that never goes out of style and would be a perfect last minute addition to a brunch or gift for a special someone (like Mom!). I will come back at you all with alllll sorts of updates on Monday, but until then, Happy Mother’s Day to all moms, regardless of what their children may be! Ridley better get me flowers….
Preview of our weekend…
Hearty High Protein Banana Nut Bread (Gluten Free Options)
I delved straight into a love affair with banana bread during March, and that love affair continued for months! I made banana-base muffins every weekend for the next few weeks and was completely guilty of eating up to 5 in a day! But when your banana bread/muffins are this delicious and so good for you… can you blame me?
This hearty protein banana nut bread recipe is similar to my favorite Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins, but there are slight differences that produce a slightly different result. The result is a heartier protein banana nut bread that focuses on the banana flavor and then ups the ante with ginger and nuts. So if you are less chocolate inclined (gasp), this is the protein banana bread for you!
Slather it with nut butter, butter, have it plain with a glass of cold almond milk (my personal favorite) or a glass of tea (ok, so I love this as well), crumple it over ice cream… there are unlimited options. Plus, you can tailor the nuts to what you like–salted peanuts, hazelnuts, cashews!–but I think that the walnuts are the way to go.
You know how I was talking about unique Mother’s Day gifts? This is another excellent option–show your mom that you want her to live healthfully and deliciously!
Hearty High Protein Banana Nut Bread or Muffins (High Fiber, Gluten Free Options)
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 12 muffins or 2 mini loaves||Total:|
Finally, a high protein banana nut bread recipe that's high fiber, low in sugar, and tastes delicious! Gluten free ready + protein powder free!
- Wet Ingredients:
- 1-2 (about 100-200 g) Ripe Bananas, Mashed*
- 1/2 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 Cup Liquid Egg White (or 2 Egg Whites and Dash Liquid)
- 2-3 drops Vanilla Stevia (or 1 tsp Vanilla Extract + 2-3 drops liquid stevia or 2 TBSP sweetener)
- 2-3 TBSP Maple Syrup
- Optional 1/4 avocado***
- Dry Ingredients:
- 120 g (about 1 Cup) Whole Wheat Pasty Flour**
- 60 g (about 1/2 Cup) Chickpea Flour
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 TBSP Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Powdered Ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 oz nut of choice (I picked walnuts!)
- Heat oven to 350*. Line and spray mini loaf tins or muffin tin with liners and or parchment paper. Mist liners with cooking spray.
- Mix wet ingredients and dry ingredients (not including nuts) in separate bowls until each mixture is well incorporated.
- Add wet to dry and incorporate, then add nuts and fold in.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin tin and or loaf pans.
- Cook for 15 minutes, then rotate pan. Cook additional 5-10 minutes (less for muffins, more for mini loaves). Additional 15-20 minutes for normal sized loaf pan.
- Removes, let cool, and enjoy!
* for a sweeter and more moist muffin, use more banana (up to 2).
** for Gluten Free version, use Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (make sure that binder is included within the mixture)
***For additional moisture, add in 1/4 ripe avocado
And a quick Friday Catch Up for you!
Posts from the Week:
- Brain Fog on a Clear Day (Weekend Recap)
- Find Happiness Where You Are (This was a super personal and heartfelt post, and I was so happy with the way you all received it!)
- How to Start Running After Injury (Coaches Corner)
- Currently… May 2017 (Podcasts, Escapes, Excitement!)
Five Thoughts on my mind!
FOLLOW OUR HASHTAG #SpyderXShapeTakeTahoe
- Today I will ski for the first time in 15 years. #herewego
- Yesterday’s meals: Bar and coffee in the am, coffee at the airport, bar between planes + bulk candy between planes, snack mix and crackers on the plane, body weight in wheat thins + chips + guacamole + salsa at the house, beets and foccacia and ahi tuna apps, dinner of roasted Brussels, hummus + pita, and sweet potato fries. Life was a big freaking snack plate yesterday, and it was GLORIOUS.
- Like I mentioned yesterday, I can’t tell you how much I needed this escape. I was having an anxiety attack at my lunch shift (for various reasons), and it just reiterated how much I needed a break from everything going on in Chicago. As much as I would love for Alex to be here with us, I’m honestly really glad to be here with all women.
- I played a slot machine yesterday. Won $5 on the first try, lost it on the next pull. Dumb (Alex called it, literally verbatim).
- Speaking of Alex, he is doing a great job single parenting so far. He got up early and took the pup out to the park to play around and came back home after a super busy morning to let her out, feed her, and take her for a walk, went back to work, and then came home and took her for a run after work! Plus, he has been sending me video of her running around like an idiot, which you know I love. I love you, Alex, thank you for being such a great daddy!
I honestly had tons of other thoughts to share with you, but we are going to have a ripe and ready start tomorrow morning, and I need to be ready to go!Make sure to follow @Suzlyfe + @Spyderactive + @Shape_Magazine as #SpyderXShapeTakeTahoe! Click To Tweet
Banana bread–want it sweeter or more neutral?
How are you celebrating Mother’s Day?