I had so, so much fun chatting back and forth with everyone over yesterday’s post. I’m glad that the overall consensus was not that I am an awful person, but more that other people just have major issues that we are angels and put up with all of these other shenanigans.
Before I get further, and because I have no other idea of how to introduce this, I am chuffed to announce that the Suzlyfe is growing, and adding another member to the family! (MOM. GET OFF THE FLOOR. I’M NOT PREGNANT.)
I am honored to now also be a Fit Approach Sweat Pink Ambassador! As the website states:
We believe that kicking ass is best done in pretty shoes. We’ve learned that real women sweat, and sweat hard. We know that assertiveness, strength, and ambition are the ultimate feminine qualities. We concede that sometimes it takes hours to get ready, but we’re also no strangers to just rolling out of bed and going. We’re convinced that we run faster in pink shoelaces. We believe in pushing ourselves, and we believe in giving ourselves a break, too. We’re all about the rush of endorphins and the thrill of the challenge. We’re all for looking great and feeling even better. We’re committed to finding our best fit, and making it stick.
Apparently, I like things that are pink, black, white, and bada$$.
A group of individuals who have come together as a community to inspire and improve the world around them, whether through sweat or a smile. I am proud to be a member of all of my Ambassador Programs, all of which I am even more proud to say are run by strong women.
#Swirlon #Imfitpossible #girlsgonesporty #teamstellar #ramblen #Sweatpink
I have started and restarted this post several times, struggling to figure out where to go with it–do I go with my usual Friday format–>post about some favorite somethings and then finish with a recipe? Do I have verbal diarrhea and basically guarantee that all of these new friends that I have gained this week never return?
Bah, how bout a little of both? I need a little structure, but I also need to let my thoughts settle a little bit by getting rid of some of the detritus. We are going to break it down, old-school Suz style, and go with the rule of 5’s. And only over the past week, because I can’t wrap my brain around all of April yet.
1) Five Posts (other than my own, durrrr) that Rocked my World and Tugged Heartstrings:
- Mama Salt @ Run Salt Run: “How I Learned to Love Myself For My Littlest Health Hero” –We all know how I feel about #mamasalt (she sh*ts bricks. OF GOLD). As a woman looking forward to a future in which I hope to bear my own children (but, very honestly, may not be able to), this made me this post stopped me dead in my tracks. As a person, regardless of sex or age or physical condition, who has fought for the health that she has, I related to her need to force herself to be a better person for the sake of those she loves and, ultimately, for herself. Not being a mother yet, I have made certain decisions to change for Alex and my mom, and then ultimately for myself. And then, finally, I have made decisions for myself, and myself alone. But I had to rely on the strength of my love for them first. and good luck in your race this weekend!
- Carson @ Running Southern: “That Feeling” –Like with MamaSalt’s post, I related to this on several levels: I, too, come from a place where tornadoes, flooding, etc, are threats real enough that we know what happens when the ish hits the fan, but remote enough that we live in blissful ignorance until the sky turns that color, the air takes that smell, and those sirens go off. Watching trees surrounding your house whip and bend like cartoon slingshots. The fear of real, clear, and very present danger. On another level, it got me to thinking, for whatever reason, about 9/11. Those moments of disbelief and actual terror as you wonder about the fate of your loved ones, a true fear that lasts far after they are returned to you.
- Kate @ Baking in Yoga Pants: “I’ll be Happy When” — I have spent so much of my adult life in a state, or at least mentality, of transition. Always waiting for the next big change. I related to this post so much because I feel like I am getting closer and closer to living here. Living now. I’m not there yet, but I hope to be soon.
- Laura @ The Gluten Free Treadmill: “I’ll Say Yes” — I am a firm believer that often times the best things in life are those that you didn’t believe you wanted, that you weren’t actively looking for, but that you were open to. And I want so badly for Laura to find someone to say yes to. But I have to vet them first.
- Caitlin @ ChasingChels: “Confidence” — Similar to my feelings regarding Laura’s post, this is a post that made me just feel warm inside because I was so, just, happy for her. And it made me think a lot about myself, and my perception of confidence. I am in a time right now where I don’t have confidence in my body, and yet at the same time, I am proud of my body. I am not entirely confident in my future, but I trust in it. I know that Caitlin has, is, and will go through the same struggles, and knowing that she has a piece of the puzzle helps me to find comfort as I continue to search. And Kick A$$ in YOUR RACE
2) Five Events/Happenings that Rocked My World
- Friday. All of it. In both good, bad, and neutral ways, the events of Friday impacted me.
- Remicade. A gift that I will never take for granted. Also, all of the candy that I stole from it hahahahahaha suckas.
- Blog Opportunities, Changes, and Growth. I introduced myself for the first time as a blogger, not as a someone with a blog. It was a surreal moment. My blog is in a completely different realm that it was a month ago. And it continues to gain momentum. I know I sound like a broken record, but I say this because of how important the concept is to me, and how nervous I am to lose it: authenticity and integrity. I have tried to emphasize that this is still a baby blog; it is still figuring out what it wants to be when it comes of age (if it ever does). But I strive, every day, to put forth content and emotion that is true to who I am, and true to my readers, my friends. You will notice that I don’t post workouts, I don’t tell you what/how to eat. I am me, you are you. I am not a professional. Yet. And even then, I am not sure if I will. I haven’t decided. We shall see when I get there.
- Bursting into tears in a restaurant on Date Night. Yup. You heard me. Burst into tears in SideDoor. And though the burger was delicious, it was not the reason for the tears.
- Building Relationships. I feel like I have really gotten to know some amazing new future friends this week. It has been overwhelming this week, all of the new people that I have been introduced to, and I feel a bit like a guppy in an ocean. My mind is boggled, elated, racing, on pause…. I need some decompression time. Or maybe to just seize this momentum while I have it. Yes, I think that is right.
3) Five Flavors that Have Titillated my Tastebuds
I think the name of the game this week was grown up throwbacks. Like my sparkly blue nails.
- Ice Creams–Cookies and Coffee, S’mores, and Salted Caramel Popcorn. I generally find coffee ice creams to be rather hit or miss, but I’m now on a roll. Like with mint cookie crunch, look for this to keep coming back. S’mores is one of my all time favorites. And you know how I feel about salted caramel things and how I feel re: popcorn. YES.
- Pancakes–both Healthy and Indulgent. Spaghetti Squash Protein Pancakes–I don’t care if I’m a broken record. I just bought another spag squash just so that I could make more. And Alex’s pancakes from Sunday… ermigerd.
- Caramel Popcorn. 479 Style ie Chipotle Caramel and Pumpkin Seed
- The Flavor Extravaganza that is SideDoor.
- Not Your Father’s Root Beer, Avocado Mash, and Melonade. Basically, we took root beer, guacamole, and a watermelon Jolly Rancher and got them drunk, tarted them up, and sent them out on the town. If I had had a Crabbies I would’ve been good to go.
- The Bacon Jam. Honestly probably the best thing I ate all week.
- I needed to come up with something right quick for dinner, and thus 5×5 ingredient Stir Fry Sauce was born. You’re welcome.
- 5 Ingredients for the Sauce (feeds 2 normal people or 1 very hungry man)
- Chunky Peanut butter (1/3 cup)
- Roasted Garlic Hummus (2 tbsp)
- Soy sauce (1 tsp)
- Cilantro (1 tsp)
- Oil/water/milk to thin; season to taste
- Optional: Sesame seeds, Sriracha (healthy squirt. Technical measurements, of course)
- 5 Ingredients in the Stir Fry:
- Toss with cooked noodles (we used Lo Mein),
- Stir fry veggies
- Choice of protein (we used chicken),
- Romaine for garnish, and it was a perfect, cool, crispy bite
- 5 Ingredients for the Sauce (feeds 2 normal people or 1 very hungry man)
If bacon jam, bastardized root beer and watermelon jolly ranchers, chipotle caramel popcorn, squash pancakes, salted caramel ice cream, and pb+garlic hummus aren’t #strangebutgood…. well, then fooey.
I think we might need to stop there. I have so, so much else to share, so much to tell, but I feel that I have already overstayed my welcome.
Good luck to all running this weekend–be it a race or your mouths! Catch a little break tomorrow afternoon with this week’s The Long Run 😀
Tell me a top 3 of your week: music? food? posts? gum flavors?