This weekend was short but filled between an insatiable baby, sick dog, and me just consuming everything in sight. Weekend Recap is on tap.
Let’s get right to it.
1) First of all, it was a bit of a rough weekend because Ridley was REALLY really sick (and still isn’t out of the danger zone). I woke up on Saturday and fed her, then took her out so that Alex could get ready for his run. A quick trip out, some running up and down the hall as she likes to do, and all seemed well, For 10 minutes, before she threw up her entire breakfast.
Happens to dogs, right? I wasn’t worried, just figured we’d need to make her some breakfast, as we know I have to do every now and then. So I gave her some Cheerios to test that. 10 minutes later, bllllllegggghhh. Plus shaking and hiding in her crate. I knew something was wrong. Alex came back, she threw up 2 more times, so instead of taking her to the dog park, Alex took her to the vet. She got fluids and anti-nausea and antacids, then she came home. But I knew within 20 minutes that she wasn’t going to get better. I’ve seen this enough. Alex hadn’t seen her sick like I have, so he kept thinking she’d be doing better.
She didn’t get better.
Sunday morning, we took her to an emergency vet, who took xrays that were inconclusive but showed that there was a dilation in her colon (meaning air) but no object. So we opted for the same course of meds and fluids as the day before and to take her home (because they wouldn’t be able to do anything for her until Monday anyway).
So as I am writing this on Sunday night, I have no idea what is in store for my pupster. She is doing marginally better, but I’m still scared that she will need exploratory surgery, which a) puts her life at risk and b) is really freaking expensive. We have savings so we can afford it (as far as we know), but the fact that she might not make it if the surgery is too much or she might not make it through the night of whatever causes…. just really scares me. This is my pupster, who helped me through IVF and some really serious depression. I know that we will do whatever is best for her, but PLEASE just send positivity towards us.
2) So, while the dog wouldn’t eat or drink, it seems that all the baby would or could do was eat. GOOD GRAVY. We WERE doing better, but as I predicted, I spoke too soon–it was a looong Saturday night. But I did get more sleep than the crazy nights right after we came home. I can survive off of 6 hrs!
That said, it has been really cold in our bedroom at night, and poor peanut doesn’t want to sleep in her bassinet. So I’ve been breaking the rules and letting her sleep in our bed (very carefully next to me, on her back and I am angled so that I am keeping her warm but not rolling on her). I know that I shouldn’t. But she is cold + cluster feeding + DEMANDING IT. When we go to the pediatrician this week, we will get another opinion and hopefully some advice! But she is otherwise a great kiddo. JUST REALLY FREAKING HUNGRY.
3) With everything going on, let’s just say that food isn’t safe around me. I hoover everything whether or not I need it. And Tarascas was involved on Saturday night, so you know I didn’t need it! Frances Deli, ice cream, chips EVERYWHERE. Between breastfeeding and being up all night and my dog, I just don’t care!
4) Mom and I have been having fun just hanging out! Every now and then I will stop being a control freak long enough to let her take care of the child, but really right now most of Emmie’s needs have to be taken care of by me, lol. I took the liberty of Emmie being asleep on Saturday to go upstairs and walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes (between Ridley being sick and the temps, we weren’t going to be leaving). You know you are a mom when your kid falls asleep and you don’t even bother to put on athletic clothes–you just throw on running shoes with your jeans, heavy socks, nursing shirt, and sweatshirt and head upstairs with a kindle and Pandora and start walking! I walked at a medium clip for about 30 minutes. Enough to get some of the stress out.
5) Alex is finally on vacation! He had 2 training sessions that he had to go to on Thursday and Friday, so Mom and I had a pizza and couch night watching House Hunters International and then Friday I made her my Sweet Potato Hash minus the cornbread. And then Alex gets on vacation, and Emmie clusterfeeds with him from 9-midnight that night, then the dog gets sick, then Emmie is up on and off all Saturday night AND I forget to put my pumped milk back into the fridge, so we have no back up…
AAAAAHHHH the Suzlyfe.
I’m going to go fix some dinner for Alex. I would say fix dinner for all of us, but A) Alex got out chips and b) I had my leftovers for Frances’ as well as my body weight in chips while everyone else was delicately eating and now I literally want ice cream for dinner.
WHAT A FREAKING WEEKEND.
Please think good thoughts for my puppers. Even just one. Thank you my friends.
Did the team you wanted to win become Super Bowl Champions?
Did you know Uber allows dogs, but it up to the driver? There is an actual Uber dog in other countries!