Classic French Onion soup gets a healthy update in this slow cooker recipe that is Whole 30 approved, gluten free, impressively high protein and destined to become a meal prep staple!
This week and a bit of last week have been a lot of gushy mushy lovey dovey… stuff, so today I offer an olive branch of one of my other slow cooker creations that I motored through in no time at all.
High Protein Slow Cooker French Onion Soup (Gluten Free, Whole30)
Seriously, this soup is so freaking good, it doesn’t need the cheese or the bread (though, obviously, you can go that route if you so desire, but it won’t be Whole 30). I was legitimately sad when it was gone! And I may or may not have hidden a few servings of it from Alex.
As soon as I decided to put the slow cooker to work, I knew that I wanted to make French Onion Soup. It is in my top 3 favorite soups, and you bet I ordered it more than a few times while we were in Paris for our honeymoon.
There is a bit of prep work with regards to chopping things, and for best results you do want to cook it in the slow cooker rather than a Crockpot in order to get a bit more color on the onions (you’ll understand when you see the directions). But really, all you need is 15 minutes to chop the ingredients and start the bad boy, and if you want to really get color on the onions, you’ll need to do one other step after it starts. Then this Whole 30 soup cooks away and you don’t have to think about it!
I love French Onion soup because of that incredible broth, but since I’m not good with cheese, I miss out on the only real protein source that you get with it. Thus, I decided to add some Collagen Peptides to it (because I’m already using beef broth, and I know how well those peptides disappear into whatever you are cooking!) for a protein punch that helps me create a more well-rounded meal. If you are doing Whole 30, serve it beside a sweet potato, or if you aren’t doing Whole30, GRAB THAT BAGUETTE (or your gluten free equivalent).
Added bonus? This is dairy free, but if you don’t care about dairy, use grass fed butter for the browning.
Another idea: use a mandolin to slice the onions. I did my onions by hand, and if I could go back, I would use the mandolin for a thinner slice. Just saying! Check out my other slow cooker creations!YUM. French Onion Soup gets a #Whole30 high protein makeover! #glutenfree #recipes Click To Tweet
But any way that you slice
onions it, you will love this. And it makes loads, so get ready to enjoy this slow cooker French Onion soup for days/weeks to come! And yes, it freezes perfectly!
High Protein Slow Cooker French Onion Soup (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 8-10 1-cup servings||Total:|
Classic French Onion soup gets a healthy update that is Whole 30 approved, gluten free, and impressively high protein. This slow cooker French Onion Soup will become a staple in your meal prep!
- 3-5 Sweet Onions (depending on size) sliced thin
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp non-dairy butter substitute
- 1 Qt unsalted Beef Cooking Stock
- 1 Qt unsalted Beef Broth
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp GF Worchestershire Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Liquid Aminos
- Optional 8 oz dark Gluten Free Beer
- 2 Tsp dried Thyme (or 2 Tbsp fresh)
- 2 Tsp Brown Sugar
- 1/2-3/4 cup collagen peptides
- 1 tsp each salt and cracked black pepper
- Slice onions thin and add everything but the stock and broth (and fresh herbs if using fresh) to slow cooker and cook on high for 1-2 hrs, stirring half way. If using large pot, cook covered over medium heat for 1-2 hours or until onions caramelize, stirring every so often (make sure the bottom onions don't burn).
- Add remaining ingredients and stir, recover and cook on low 5-7 hours. (Same idea in large soup pot)
- If possible, let sit overnight for best flavor, then serve with non-dairy cheese and crusty gluten free bread!
This weekend, Alex and I are heading to Madison, Wisconsin for the night (I wish we could reprise our trip from 2 summers ago!) for a fancy formal party with his cousins! I will likely wear exactly what I wore to Cara’s wedding, lol. It is the only formalwear I have at the moment! Luckily, it is a gorgeous dress, and I know (?) that it fits!
Catch up on the posts from this week!
- Parental Visits, Happy Places, and New Eats
- Last Minute Creative Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas + My Everyday Valentine
- How to Continue Your Running Educations (GIVEAWAY)
- Couples in Love Survey and 24 Hours of Awesomeness
What are you looking forward to this weekend? Who has Monday off?