I made these cake-like healthy Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies for Alex’s 30th birthday, and they were so good that I had to share them with you! Get the recipe and the Friday Catch Up!
Cake Like Healthy Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies
Guys, these are pretty awesome. So many textures, so many awesome flavors, decadent but totally healthy…. these are the perfect cookie if you like balance in your flavors and nutritional content 😀 These would make a GREAT marathon training snack option as well–and I will tell you why!
First of all, these are inspired by Emily’s Peanut Butter Cup Skillet Cookie. I wanted to do something fun for Alex’s birthday, and when I came across her cookie, I was like ding-ding-ding! Problem? I don’t have a skillet… or a few other things. But I had whole wheat pastry flour, multiple types of peanut butter, chocolate chips, and banana.
So, I Suz-ified. You know me. When am I ever going to actually follow a recipe? That would be never. #IDoWhatIWant
The result was this awesomely chewy, airy, and surprisingly cake-like chocolate chip peanut butter cookie. I used mini chocolate chips and a combo of peanut butters, providing pops of crunch in places, while the banana pieces (that didn’t get smoothed out) provide these other little pops of flavor. The whole wheat pasty flour (you know I love it) gave a fuller flavor–these cookies had heft without weight.You CAN have it all! Healthy + Chocolate + Peanut Butter + Cake + Cookies #recipe #yum #fitfluential Click To Tweet
I will say that I might have made some mistakes. I didn’t cream the sugar into the banana. I left things a bit chunky. I probably could have added more peanut butter. I always could have added more chocolate. I reduced the amount of brown sugar because of the banana. I definitely didn’t have a skillet.
But, you know what? We LOVE the result. Alex LOVED them. They are cake-like: moist and fluffy and kissed with the aforementioned flavors and textures. They were mug cake like in the best way, with that texture that only can be achieved in the oven. All I can think of is serving them warm from the oven with some vanilla ice cream.
These cookies will be back. They might become my new birthday cookie for my peanut butter lovers. I mean. Chewy cakey chocolate chip peanut butter cookies. And if you don’t have a birthday coming up? Whatever, make them. They are good for ya and help ya too.
Healthy Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies (Dairy Free)
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 9 large cookies||Total:|
These cake-like Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies are just the right amount of healthy but taste incredibly decadent! Dairy free and easily made gluten free, these are perfect for fun, birthdays, or as a post run snack!
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips (I used minis, use vegan chips for dairy free)
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 cup (about 130g) Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1/4 cup Light or Dark Brown Sugar (up to 3/8 cups if not adding additonal sugar)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 TBSP Cinnamon
- Wet Ingredients:
- 1 Medium (100g) Banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup Peanut Butter (I used both chunky and creamy)
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Stevia OR 1 tsp Vanilla Extract + 2 tsp Stevia liquid
- 1 TBSP Maple Syrup (optional)
- Up to 2 TBSP Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk (if necessary)
- There are two ways to do this:
- 1) Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients in separate bowls, add wet to dry and mix, then fold in chocolate chips.
- 2) Cream (mix) brown sugar with banana then mix with peanut butter and other wet ingredients, add dry into wet ingredients, fold in chocolate chips.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes prior to baking.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, rotating pan halfway. May take less time depending on mixing method and size of cookie.
- Either will produce a great cookie!
Friday Catch Up
Let’s get caught up!
Posts you might have missed this week:
- Do I Even Remember How to Do This? (Shamrock Shuffle, Social Outings, Sunshine)
- What to Say To Someone Undergoing Infertility Treatments
- Marathon Training with a Chronic Illness (Running Coaches Corner)
- All The Current Moods (New Job, New Appetite, I’m a Hot Mess)
And now for the nonsense:
1) You guys, my dog smells so freaking bad. SO BAD. She might be getting a mommy’s birthday bath this weekend. The weather here has been horrific, but I was able to take her to the park yesterday morning before my clients so that she could romp with her friends (but not have to pay for daycare). Ps, we got super lucky, and we even had sun by midday yesterday! Anyhoo, she found some delicious wet leaves to roll around in, and you know she got rolled and beaten up (because she likes it that way. Say it with me: she likes it ruff #harhar).
She had a quite a bit of mud and dirt on her when we returned, but, alas, we don’t have a tub, we have a shower. So I did my best with doggie dry shampoo wipes and a towel.
She needs a bath. My god.
2) It’s my birthday this weekend, and I kind of don’t care. I’ve honestly been forgetting about it in the days leading up. There has just been so much going on of late, so much else that I have to keep up with, that I’m just kind of like, ok, whatever. I’m turning 29 (having my first 29th birthday, as some say), and typically, people are all like, “Let’s throw down!”
I think the only think that I’m going to throw down is a glass of wine and chocolate. Mom and I are probably going to go to a wine bar. I care WAY more about the fact that she is coming than the fact that her coming coincides with the anniversary of the day I was pulled out of an incision in her stomach and
started wrecking people’s lives changed the world forever.
You guys, my dog WREAKS. I might have to Febreeze her.
3) When Alex gets back from the Austin bachelor party trip, after two weeks of hardly seeing each other… we will have another week of hardly seeing each other. The only nights that we will be at home together will be Monday and Friday. And funny story about Monday, but let’s just say he is in the doghouse for telling me that we had Cub’s home game opener tickets and then telling me hours later (after I had gotten hyped and moved clients) that he was too slow.
But Ridley will be wearing her new Cubs uniform jersey. IT IS SO CUTE. But she needs a bath first.
4) Mom and I have a grand total of 2 things planned for while she is here as of yet. Basically, I’m going to let her play with the dog all weekend and wear her out (just which her I am referring to is up for debate). Maybe she will bathe the dog….
5) Something a bit maudlin, but I’m not really sure how else to share it. Yesterday, as I was driving to the gym, I a crazy automobile accident: I literally saw a car wrapped around a tree. The car had hit the tree with such force (it had obviously spun into the tree, so the tree was just behind the driver’s side front wheel) that the tree was literally enveloped by the car; it looked that it had grown through the car.
When I drove home, I drove by the cleaned up accident sight, and there was still metal wrapped around the tree from the car. Later on, I looked at Anna’s post from Thursday, and she shared a picture of her truck from her wreck. If she had whiplash from her collision, can you imagine hitting a tree so hard that your car literally consumed a tree? Who knows what happened? My guess is that the car got clipped and spun, but I don’t know.
All I know is that life can change in an instant. Live the best life you can, love the best way you can. Tell your friends and family you love them, and cuddle puppies, even when they are smelly.Live like you were dying but live forever with these healthy chocolate chip PB cookies! #yum Click To Tweet
Have a great weekend, everyone! I’m off to training at the new job and then it is MOMMY TIME!
What should I do with Mom?
Do you still put a lot into celebrating your birthday?
Chewy cookies, crisp cookies, or cakey cookies?
Linking up with Foodie Friday (Farrah, Annmarie, Esther, and Jess), Friday Five 2.0, Meatless Monday (Sarah and Deborah) and another Meatless Monday (Annmarie and Dixya), Food and Fitness Sunday (Ilka and Angela)