I am about to make your life with these healthy and gluten free Cabo Shrimp Jicama Tacos. Of all the dishes that I had in Mexico, this dish was the one that I saw and even before taking a bite, I knew that I had to recreate it as a recipe for the blog. Easy enough for the most basic cook, these Cabo Shrimp Jicama Tacos need to be on your healthy meal plan RIGHT NOW.
Gluten Free Cabo Shrimp Jicama Tacos
Huerta Los Tamarindos is a literal farm-to-table, certified organic restaurant in the outskirts of San Jose Del Cabo in Baja California Sur. You literally are eating in this gorgeous rustic building overlooking the farmlands from which all of the vegetables come from; the proteins that you eat come from local farmers.
The tables have mason jars with fresh basil in them rather than flowers. The house margarita is a BASIL margarita. The menu is on a chalkboard. The food takes time. And you are a-ok with that.
When I ordered these tacos, I assumed that they would come on a corn or flour tortilla with a mixture of shrimp, jicama, and pineapple as the filling. But then I was presented with the most beautiful plate of food, and I dutifully set about demolishing and savoring and drooling over every single solitary bite.
Clean Eating, Local Ingredients, Layers of Flavor
If you have followed my blog for any amount of time, and particularly my recipes, you know that I follow a less-is-more, clean eating approach to food. Seasons 52 is basically my favorite restaurant ever for that very reason! Sure, I might have it with a Diet Coke… but we can’t all be perfect, lol.
However, I always focus on layers of flavor, and when flavors and ingredients are fresh, all you need are those flavors for the dish to sing. I would DIE to have a garden that I could clip basil or harvest zucchini from on the regular! Also, can we agree that there is nothing better than a backyard tomato?
The combination of simplicity, balance, and incredible nutrition of this healthy taco recipe offers, is what I love about this recipe, and why, even though it might be a “summer” recipe, I had to bring it to you right now. Even if you have to use stock ingredients, the recipe will sing. And during the summer? A FREAKING CONCERTO.
The combination of sweet pineapple, slightly smokey slightly sweet barbecue sauce (they used a guajillo pepper sauce, but I am making this as accessible as possible!), juicy tomato, firm shrimp, herbaceous cilantro, zesty lime, and crisp jicama will blow your mind. Serve alongside some gluten free chips or Mexican rice for a complete meal! Add these super healthy gluten free shrimp jicama tacos to your recipe list!
- 1 half fresh jicama, peeled and cut into taco-shell sized discs about 1/4 in thick
- 1/2 cup cubed fresh pineapple (or cubed, juice removed) (about 3/8 inch dice)
- 1/2 cup cubed fresh tomato (same size as pineapple)
- 4-6 medium shrimp, deveined, cooked, cubed (about 1/2-3/4 in dice)
- about 2 TBSP fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1 small key lime or limone
- 1/2 tsp pico piquin seasoning (or 1/8 tsp chile powder, pinch cayenne powder, pinch cumin, 1/8 tsp salt, zest of 1 key lime)
- Sauce for drizzle (See notes)
- Easy as this: mix together all ingredients except for jicama and sauce. Let the new mixture sit for a few minutes to marry.
- Lay out jicama taco shells and then spoon mixture over top. Drizzle with sauce and serve with extra lime and pico pequin!
- Pick your favorite slightly smokey, slightly sweet gluten free barbecue sauce or a chipotle or guajillo pepper sauce.
Extra points if you have these shrimp jicama tacos with a fresh margarita (on the rocks, with salt). And if you have them overlooking a beach or the ocean (even on your office computer), you will instantly be transported from a dreary winter day to a perfect summer afternoon!
Summer any time of year! Cabo Shrimp Jicama Tacos Recipe #glutenfree #cleaneating #healthyrecipe Click To Tweet
What is your favorite way to bring the vibrancy of summer into the dreary winter?
Have you ever used jicama as a taco shell before?
I have no affiliation with Huerta Los Tamarindos nor did I receive anything special from them. They just rock!