Today, the Friday Catch Up goes seriously Foodie Friday! No recipes, just awesome finds, stories, and some discounts for you!
Posts You Might Have Missed:
- Imma Ride a (Migraine) Train (Weekend Recap)
- Picking the Best Protein Bars for Post Workout (Coaches Corner)
First off, reminders about discounts for you all!
- Cooked Chicago — See my review here!
SUZCOOKS – $10 off any purchase (plus free shipping) of $20 or more (can be used for anything!)
SUZSIPS – 40% off either the 1-day or 3-day juice package
- NuGo Nutrition — See My Review Here!
- SUZLYFE – 15% off NuGo Slim Protein Bars until 10/31/17
Friday Catch Up 7/5
First and foremost, in the interest of full disclosure, I am writing this post on Wednesday afternoon. Why? Because my family is arriving Thursday for the weekend! You know what that means…
1) Yes, I researched our restaurants, and yes, we have reservations for each night and one brunch. Thursday, we are going to Beacon Tavern, which you may remember from this post. Alex has to work Thursday, so after I gather up the fam and feed them lunch, we are going to head downtown and, weather permitting, do some fun things down there. Then Beacon Tavern for dinner!
Tonight (Friday), we are going to a new (to us and to Chicago) resto called Ella Elli, which is apparently on the rise and looks delish. Saturday morning will bring us back to Hutch for brunch and then Lillie’s Q for a fun, casual dinner.
I am super excited, yes, to have delicious dinners (you know how I do), but to have my whole family together and for everyone to meet Ridley! Cross your fingers for good weather and a good time!
Another reason that it is important to note that I am writing this prior to Thursday night? Because Thursday, before my family arrives, Edited to add: i had the days mixed up! So today my family, Erica and I are going down to Taste of Chicago to browse around and check out some of our favorite vendors! I’ve never gone before (I’m cheap and don’t trust myself in the presence of all of that deliciousness), but I am all atwitter to finally check out one of the largest and most renowned food festivals in the country and the world. Biggest bonus of all is that I will be going with Erica, one of my favorite people, and we will get to catch up and make plans for our upcoming racecation to San Francisco for the Empowered Race Series!
Follow me on Instagram Stories for our adventures!
3) We got our second CSA box this weekend, and as you know, I immediately started using it, first the dill in our omelets and then the Napa Cabbage for our tacos over the weekend. Since then, I’ve been sauteing up the Swiss Chard for lunches and dinner, and Wednesday, I steamed the beets and beet greens, which were delicious!
I wanted to go ahead and cook the beets so that I could try freezing one or two and enjoy the others. They are gorgeous, so you know that I can’t wait too long to eat them. We still have lots of other fun things to enjoy, but with the fam in this weekend, those plans are going to have to wait!From CSA's to getting gourmet, don't miss Suz's #Foodie themed Friday Catch Up! #tasteofchicago Click To Tweet
4) Speaking of plans and eating all fancy like, I ate super fancy on Wednesday night. I had the steamed beet green with a side of ever so elegant string cheese and loaded baked oatmeal. We had planned on having chicken Pad Thai (using CSA goodies) but Alex got sick off of one of the pieces of chicken that we had (not from the CSA), so we had to toss the rest + he was going to be home later. Hey, gotta take the high brow with the low brow, right?
5) Wait, MORE food news? Yup.
Monday, Burrito Beach treated me to their entire Beach Body menu as well as some not so “beach body” friendly treats, their amazing frozen custard creations. Alex and I have long loved going to Burrito Beach–in fact, I much prefer it over Chipotle for the options and the way I feel after eating the food. Chipotle always leaves me feeling greasy after, while Burrito Beach just feels fresh. I also love all of their protein options!
All items on the Beach Body menu are under 500 calories, but they do not lack in flavor or nutrition. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Burrito Beach actually makes almost everything they serve in house–from the meats that they butcher in the kitchen and then marinate in house-recipes to the salsas, which have beautiful layers of flavor.
But the goal of the Beach Body menu isn’t to cater to the “Beach Body” trend, though, sure, it is playing into that with the name. The goal of the Beach body menu is to show that Mexican food doesn’t have to be a dietary bomb in order to be amazingly flavorful and satisfying! In fact, my favorite of the dishes were the two that were unique to the Beach Body menu, the Mexican Quinoa Salad and the Vegetable Chili, filled with quinoa. I would eat those every single day, and the fresh quinoa salad is actually a perfect foil to the ancho chili-based chili. And yes, you can get them both, served alongside a chicken taco in the Skinny Combo.
There are plenty of optional add-ins and protein options as well, so the menu is definitely vegetarian friendly as well as tastebud and waistline friendly.Check out the healthy + DELICIOUS #BeachBody menu from @BurritoBeach! Get the quinoa! #YUM #ad Click To Tweet
Something else that is tastebud friendly and perfect for the summer? Those frozen custards. I got to Triple Chocolate Blackout (brownies and fudge are involved) and the This Isn’t Going To Hurt A Bit (using Eli’s Cheesecake, graham cracker, and strawberries). My FIL would be in HEAVEN. Yes, you can devise your own creations, and they also have frozen yogurt! But that custard… I don’t even usually like custard (you know me and yolks) but these were amazing.
Burrito Beach invited me for lunch, but all opinions are my own!
Ok, that is it from me. I’m going to go walk Ridley in anticipation of all the eating I’m going to be doing this weekend. Because I gotta make some more room, right?
Anything fun and foodie to report?
Ever been to a major food fest?
Favorite type of taco?