Life, Crohn's, Infertility

About My Lyfe

Running Tips and Fitness Advice

Let's Talk Running

Coach Suz Training

Work with Me!

Emmie Epic Lyfe Events Lyfe Pregnancy

Emmie’s Birth Story

Alirght, time for the novel of Emmie’s Birth Story!

As we had a pretty unimpressive weekend (basically all I did was feed the baby, bounce the baby, burp the baby, let the dog in, let the dog out) I thought that today would be a great day for Emmie’s Birth Story (3 weeks late). I wrote it just a few days after her birth, so the events were still fresh. It is long, but eventful, as per usual in my life πŸ˜€

Emmie’s Birth Story

I wanted to write this as soon as possible, while things were still pretty clear in my head. Emmie’s birth was, by many metrics, very easy, but it still doesn’t matter–birth is a serious matter, and I still had complications. And plenty of Suz moments.

Read the first part of her birth weekend extravaganza here,

And find out about the days after leaving the hospital here!

So we are going to back up to Monday, Jan 22, the day before her due date. 

Monday Jan 22

After the scare the day before that also gave us some hope that maybe labor was on its way, I was both happy and a bit frustrated to find her moving like normal (medium crazy) and without contractions of any kind the next morning. Alex went to work, and I went about life. I remember walking the dog, I think I did some work of some sort, and I tried to continue to keep things in order around the house (or my version of it, which is slightly ahead of filth).

I did something around 10 or 11, but I remember that around that time, I started having some contractions that weren’t exactly the same as the day before but not the same as what I had been having for a few weeks (the classic Braxton Hicks). By 2, I realized that things were starting to get a bit more involved, and a bit more regular, as well as longer in length, so I went for a walk with Ridley to see if movement changed anything. Things continued to be irregular, but they also continued, so I started talking to the various people (moms and Alex) to let them know what was up–that I was feeling things, they were continuing, but who knows.

At 5, I went for a walk, and that is when I started having regularlized contractions (5-6 minutes) but I could still walk through them. Alex, of course, right as he was about to come home, got another patient and had to stay. Around 6:30, though, I was in enough discomfort to call him and request an eta, and that is about when things started to get real and I moved to the bed and tried to zone through the pains. He Ubered home, and we called the on call doc, who wanted us to wait a bit longer (until I was regular and between 3-4 minute intervals). So we got out the trusty timer on Alex’s phone and started timing the intervals, feeding Alex, and he finished up his patient notes (he left one for the end because I requested he come home). By 8ish we were focused on the situation at hand, or the pain that I was feeling and trying to will the contractions to be close enough together that we could go in. 

At 10, I had finally had enough pain and contractions close-ish enough together that we decided it was time. I don’t remember if we paged the doc again, but either way, we got our stuff (all of it, which was at the time a bit ludacrious to have carseat and diaper bag as well as our stuff) and Ubered to Prentice. I contracted on and off during the ride and, of course, as soon as we got there (literally, as they were trying to walk me through triage).

Back to triage, we hooked me up, and I was SQUIRMING with pain. At 1115/30 they did a cervical examine, and that is when the fun started. YES I was 4.5 cm dialated but I also had a contraction during the cervical examine, and the pressure from all of the things basically overwhelmed my body and I started to overheat and pass out, a reaction that Alex immediately recognized (Vasovagal Syncope, or when you start to faint from pressure on your vasovagal nerve), so he was able to help start the intervention by putting me in proper position and warning the nurses.  I spent the next few minutes on the brink of passing out, with my eyes rolling back in my head, and turning a lovely shade of ashy.

When I was stable, they took me up to the L+D room, and I met Ashley, our awesome nurse who go us through thr night and Emmie’s birth!

The epidural team was with us shortly, and that sucker was in within 30 minutes of me being taken upstairs THANK GOD.

Ok, so here is what an epidural feels like (or how it felt for me): You don’t really feel things from ribcage to mid thigh, and then you legs feel like you are just stepping in to a jetted tub: warm and slightly effervescent.  AWESOME

I went from a 7 out of 10 pain scale to able to sleep for a few hours. With Pones, of course.


A post shared by The Lemmer Zoo (@lemmerzoo) on

For you nerds out there, my Unicorn pillow that Mom gave me is named Epona (Zelda: Ocarina of Time reference), and we call her Pones. She has been a constant companion through my last trimester and is now a great Boppy for nursing Emmie!

Tuesday Jan 23


When I woke up, I felt better, and all I could feel was Emmie moving around a bit and every now and then guess that I was having a contraction by monitoring her movements. 

Then things got a little hairy. 

There’s the hotness8

About 2:30 AM, they gave me my second dosage of Penicillin (I had tested positive for group B Strep) as well as some Pitocin to help stimulate and encourage contractions. Apparently I have a “lazy uterus.” LOL

Around 4 AM, we started to notice that my blood pressure was rising. Before pregnancy, I was usually 80-90/50-60; During pregnancy, I was 110-120/80-90. At one point, we looked up and my blood pressure was 140/100, and then 186/120.

After exactly 9 months, I was getting Preeclampsia at the finish line of the whole pregnancy! They gave me meds to bring down my BP, but it never really got back to “normal” and would go back up on its own.

So, I had a lazy uterus and old placenta. Charming.

At 6, we decided to proceed with vaginal birth and see if my BP would come down after because Emmie was basically trying to make her entrance that way already, I was nearly fully dialated, and really, the only cure for Preeclampsia is birth, anyway. 

My water broke in the MOST HILARIOUS FASHION around 6. Did someone drop a water balloon? #mostsurprisingthingever #mosthilariousnoiseever

Active labor lasted from 6:30 to 7:04, when little Emilia Clare Lemmer came into the world.

Now, I had a short interval of pushing–the women that have to push and push and push and push? I don’t know how you do it. HATS OFF.


I tore inside a bit (but not outside, thankfully), but Emmie needed to get cleaned up and looked after because there was some meconium in my water aka amniotic fluid and we needed to make sure her airways were clear. Meanwhile, I got stitched up, then Emmie got an A++ clean bill of health, and they brought her over to me.

Where was Alex during all of this? Holding my legs up for the delivery, right by my side, crying with kiddo came out, and checking on her over at the warmer before bringing her to me. BEST HUSBAND EVER.

That first moment holding her. There aren’t words, won’t ever be words. She just melted into me and I into her. 

The next 30 minutes are a bit of a blur. We got a new nurse (our nurse was off at 7, so Emmie had great timing!), and they went back to monitoring my BP (still too high). Alex got skin to skin time with Emmie, and we just rested.

The OB’s switched off, and coincidentally, my OB was next on, so they decided to treat my Preeclampsia, but less aggressively than they might have otherwise, by giving me a 24 hour magnesium drip and another BP med and watching me.

Soon we went to our recovery suite, where I spent the next nearly 3 days. 

Oh yeah, and I was on complete bedrest for 24 hours as they checked my blood pressure and vitals over and over again. Magnesium makes you woozy, dizzy, and unstable, so I was in that bed for everything. Peeing too. Yay bedpan. And then the migraine started later that day. 

The fact that I didn’t eat from 4 PM the day before until 12ish the next day probably didn’t help, but I kept throwing up water, so there you go. 

The next few days are a bit of a blur of vitals being checked, peeing into a bed pan, taking laps around the floor, getting breastfeeding and kiddo advice, eating eggs and turkey sandwiches and chocolate chip cookies and Sprite Zero, feeling weird and not getting enough sleep, but most importantly, we got to see my GI, some of our friends, and my parents. 

By the time that we left the hospital after Remicade, I was feeling better (like a solid 80%), and I was excited and nervous to go home.

And that brings us to Emmie’s First Weekend Recap!

Tell people how it happened!Click To Tweet

Yes, I told you all the details, but I needed to write them all out. Giving birth is a magical thing!

Previous Post Next Post

Have you read these gems?


  • Reply Linda from Veganosity

    What a ride! Good job, mama! I’m so happy you only had to push for about 30 minutes. It’s not fun. My Griffin was a meconium baby and he was 9lb 7oz with a gigantic head. Thanks to that head I had to push for 4 hours. My doctor was away for Memorial Day weekend so his partner was there for his birth and she kept calling me, Julie. My husband was getting really mad and I whispered in his ear that it was fine, because I wanted to be Julie if she would keep my wrecked body after giving birth to the Incredible Hulk and I could walk away as Linda. Lol!!! The good news, I recovered after about 2 months. πŸ˜‰

    Keep the Emmie stories coming, they’re such a bright spot in my day.

    February 12, 2018 at 7:09 am
    • Reply suzlyfe

      I honestly don’t know how you did it–I’ve already said I couldn’t handle a bigger baby. Good grief. I hope Griffin knows how much he owes you have. You are a champion, and good for you for keeping your humor through it all!

      February 16, 2018 at 8:11 pm
  • Reply Sarah Dudek

    With my first, I went to L and D after my water broke, only to find out my BP was 180/120. That preeclampsia is no joke and the magnesium is the worst. I counted the hours until that first 24 was over after Mary was born so that I could get off of that stuff and finally take a shower. Glad you guys got through it and are doing well.

    February 12, 2018 at 7:28 am
    • Reply suzlyfe

      And finally pee on a toilet. I’m so glad you are ok!

      February 16, 2018 at 8:09 pm
  • Reply Laura

    I am glad you are okay – preeclampsia is scary! Emmie is so sweet and adorable!

    February 12, 2018 at 7:38 am
    • Reply suzlyfe

      Thank you! I know that preeclampsia scared both of us–we’ve had friends who have been in serious trouble because of it.

      February 16, 2018 at 8:08 pm
  • Reply Nicole

    Oh, good ol’ vasovagal syncope. With Ethan, I went in at 41 weeks to be induced – I was measuring 36 weeks and was told I’d probably deliver a 5 or 6 pound baby: woke up, jogged/waddled for a while, then headed to the hospital at 6am. They started pitocin as soon as I arrived, then sent me to do laps around the maternity ward. I stopped around 8 for breakfast, then went back to it. I stopped again around 12:30 for lunch, and bounced around on the yoga ball, proved I could still touch my toes, and was given my last dose of pitocin with the promise that if I didn’t go into labor, “we’ll try again tomorrow.” Swore a little at that sentence and said “to hell we will.” I decide to rest a little, because I was starting to get dizzy. At 4:30, I was still measuring 0 cm, but was still feeling too off to get out of bed. I had some dinner at 5:30, promptly threw it back up, and started going into labor at 6. I went from 0cm to 8cm within the hour, and at 7:09 had a 9lb 4oz baby who was so large that the doctor said “whoa” halfway through delivery. I recovered with Ethan for about 15 minutes before I tried to stand so they could move me to recovery. Passed out. Tried again 20 minutes later. Passed out again. Told the team I would try again in an hour, passed out again, and was threatened to be strapped to the bed if I got up again. Going into labor so quickly caused some tearing and more blood loss than planned, but 24 hours later, I was heading home. Not very eventful, thankfully!

    February 12, 2018 at 8:20 am
    • Reply suzlyfe

      OH MY GOD. “Not very eventful,” my A$$. Ethan is probably quite proud of this. And has probably known how to spell vasovagal syncope since he was 4.

      February 16, 2018 at 8:07 pm
  • Reply Maureen

    I’m glad everything worked out! It sounds like you had great doctors/nurses as well as a fantastic husband to help you through labor and delivery.

    February 12, 2018 at 8:24 am
    • Reply suzlyfe

      We were so fortunate. I can’t recommend them enough!

      February 16, 2018 at 8:05 pm
  • Reply Julie Running in a Skirt

    What a journey. I”m so glad you both are ok!!!

    February 12, 2018 at 8:34 am
  • Reply Sara Zwicker

    I loved reading this and she is just so darn beautiful. I’m so glad she came on time, so now we share a birthday, so clearly, it’s a date I won’t forget πŸ™‚ I can’t wait to watch her grow up…soak up all this time, even the days when you are totally exhausted because it really does go by so fast! <3

    February 12, 2018 at 9:49 am
    • Reply suzlyfe

      I know! So she must turn out well, right? And I’m taking all the pictures and videos I can

      February 16, 2018 at 8:04 pm
  • Reply Sarah Sweet Miles

    Oh my heart I LOVED read this!! I’m SO happy for you and your sweet little family!! She is so precious!

    February 12, 2018 at 10:08 am
    • Reply suzlyfe

      Thank you! And congrats on your pregnancy!

      February 16, 2018 at 8:03 pm
  • Reply Nicole

    Congrats!! It’s a worth it! So glad you both are healthy and happy!

    Pretty sure my uterus was lazy too as I had a very long labor and pushing stage. No one ever used that phrase but makes sense to me! Haha

    February 12, 2018 at 10:51 am
    • Reply suzlyfe

      The OB cracked me up so hard when he said that! The pitocin was definitely needed.

      February 16, 2018 at 8:02 pm
  • Reply Smitha

    Love. Just love!

    February 12, 2018 at 1:29 pm
  • Reply Sue

    Awww, I got tears in my eyes reading this Suz!! So so incredibly happy for you!! Much love to you all!!! xoxox

    February 12, 2018 at 2:51 pm
    • Reply suzlyfe

      Thank you Sue! Xoxox

      February 16, 2018 at 7:58 pm
  • Reply Maggie

    Thank you for sharing! I love reading birth stories. So fascinating.

    February 12, 2018 at 2:56 pm
    • Reply suzlyfe

      Even going through it was fascinating!

      February 16, 2018 at 7:57 pm
  • Reply Nicci Randall

    She is so precious! I’m so happy you both are okay and healthy! Can’t wait to meet Emmie one day! XOXO

    February 12, 2018 at 7:05 pm
    • Reply suzlyfe

      I can’t wait for you to meet Emmie and teach her some mad yoga skillz

      February 16, 2018 at 7:57 pm
  • Reply Deborah Brooks

    Aw loved reading your story! I can hardly remember mine it’s all a blur. Congrats again on your perfect little girl

    February 12, 2018 at 7:11 pm
    • Reply suzlyfe

      Thank you! It’s like a dream–Im glad I wrote it down!

      February 16, 2018 at 7:56 pm
  • Reply Sarah Rosenblatt

    Aww, Suz, I loved reading this! Thank you for sharing it with us, it really is a privilege to get a glimpse into Emmie’s big day. And yikes, I’m glad you recovered okay from the various complications. You’re a trooper! (I lol’ed at the “lazy uterus,” haha)

    February 13, 2018 at 11:49 am
    • Reply suzlyfe

      Omg we lol’ed so hard at the last uterus as well. My OB was awesome for so many reasons.

      February 16, 2018 at 7:55 pm
  • Reply Emily Swanson

    Ohhh this is so precious. Wow; thank you for sharing the beauty of birth; God is SOOO good; I’m so thankful that you and Emmie and Alex came through the whole process with so much joy, and that God protected you all through all of it. It’s so exciting for me to read birth stories, especially after waiting so long for this little one. Emilia you are SOOO loved.

    February 13, 2018 at 12:53 pm
    • Reply suzlyfe

      She is SO loved indeed. We are ALL so lucky to have such amazing parents to show us how to love so greatly!

      February 16, 2018 at 7:54 pm
  • Reply Michelle

    Whoa, you have quite the saga to share with Emmie, maybe when she becomes a mommy! I can tell you with complete certainty that my children’s birthday is so more special to me than my own. Each year I re-live the whole pre-birth to delivery will fondness. Hope that everyone has a good sleep!!!

    February 13, 2018 at 10:38 pm
    • Reply suzlyfe

      I don’t think we are going to get good sleep for a long while haha. I am really excited for all the anniversaries to come–from her transfer to her birth. And I’m so happy to have this to look back on!

      February 16, 2018 at 7:53 pm
  • Reply Kristy from Southern In Law

    Way to go Mommy and Daddy – what a team!!! You are amazing!

    February 14, 2018 at 3:45 am
    • Reply suzlyfe

      I got my gold medal!

      February 16, 2018 at 7:52 pm
  • Reply Marcia

    It IS a magical thing! Congratulations again!

    February 14, 2018 at 6:25 am
  • Reply Sarah

    Eeek – I love reading birth stories. So happy for you and Alex, you guys handled it like pros! I’m so nervous for birth – were you nervous beforehand??

    February 14, 2018 at 6:36 am
    • Reply suzlyfe

      I really wasn’t. I was more nervous it a few months out–but when it is time, you are SO ready! You will do great, I promise!

      February 16, 2018 at 7:51 pm
  • Reply Lesley

    Congrats!! She missed my birthday by one day!

    February 14, 2018 at 1:02 pm
    • Reply suzlyfe

      Thank you!
      And we won’t hold it against you lol

      February 16, 2018 at 7:50 pm
  • Reply Emily

    Birth is such an event, you never know what might happen. Great job momma, she is just perfect.

    February 14, 2018 at 7:49 pm
    • Reply suzlyfe

      Thank you, Emily. It is a wild ride!

      February 16, 2018 at 7:50 pm
  • Reply Megan

    It sounds like you did an amazing job despite all the health scares. Congrats friend!

    February 15, 2018 at 8:37 pm
    • Reply suzlyfe

      Thank you! It was bananas!

      February 16, 2018 at 7:49 pm
  • Reply Debbie

    I am just so happy for you and your beautiful family. Yes, this sounds like a typically Suz birth, and I imagine that will continue , but in the end you have your beautiful baby girl and the beginning of your life as a 3 person femily. Sending tons of love for all of you.

    February 16, 2018 at 8:42 am
    • Reply suzlyfe

      Awwww Thank you, Debbie! I can’t wait to see what the future holds for us!

      February 16, 2018 at 7:46 pm
  • Reply Liz

    What a journey! Congrats mama and welcome to the fam, Emmie!

    February 16, 2018 at 12:48 pm
    • Reply suzlyfe

      Thank you! Xoxox

      February 16, 2018 at 7:45 pm
  • Reply Lindsay Cotter

    You are my hero! Seriously! Love your story, the water ballon (LOL!), and the fact that you overcame SO SO MUCH to bring this beautiful life into the world. <3 congrats!

    February 18, 2018 at 10:44 pm
  • Leave a Reply

    CommentLuv badge