Welcome back to #pumpkinweek2015! No idea what I’m talking about? See the bottom of this post! I’m continuing all with the festivities today! Originally, I was going to save this for Friday, but I’ve got some other things that I am thinking of for that day, and honestly, Alex and I had these last night and I was way too excited.
Be sure to enter the JHill Race Map Giveaway (last few days!) or go ahead and use discount code SUSIEXJHILL for 15% off the entire site! **not just for runners! Also, don’t forget about the Mighty Nut Powdered Peanut Butter Giveaway either!
Gluten Free Crusted Pumpkin French Toast with Gluten Free Vegan Vanilla Pumpkin Beer Syrup
In other words: get excited, these are delicious and perfect for an “classy” brunch. Save the Basil Sweet Potato Zucchini Muffin Tops for a ladies tea, these are meant for BRUNCH. They are as healthy as you want to make them, but I suggest having some fun every now and then, right?
I have a confession: growing up, I didn’t like pumpkin pie, I didn’t like French Toast. My, oh, my, how times have changed. This combines like 3 of my best French Toast recipes with the flavors of the season and a crazy awesome syrup recipe that can be gluten free or not. Regardless, you can’t go wrong.
I had both Trader Joe’s Pumpkin O’s as well as Barbara’s Pumpkin Spice Puffins on hand, and both are gluten free and would work perfectly. If you are going vegan whole hog (LOL), the Pumpkin O’s are also vegan, but you will obviously need an egg substitute.
Both the pumpkin French Toast as well as the vanilla beer syrup recipes are easy to make in bulk and keep warm in the oven. If you are making them in multiples and are worried about the cereal staying crispy, skip the crusting before cooking and instead crust after. Making this recipe even more convenient is the fact that just about every ingredient is one that you likely already have in your cabinet or fridge, and the total cost of everything is minimal. Bang for your buck is achieved with this pumpkin French Toast. Plus, the fact that it is also dairy free means that everyone but true vegans can have it! Food, fun, and flavor for all!
- 4 slices Gluten Free Bread
- 2 egg + 2 egg whites + 3 Tbsp water OR 1/2 cup liquid egg white
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin spice + 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup crush gluten free pumpkin cereal (Pumpkin Spice Puffins or Trader Joe's Pumpkin O's)
- Gluten Free Vanilla Pumpkin Beer Syrup (see below)
- Preheat oven to 250*
- Combine egg mixture of choice with pumpkin puree, vanilla, spices, and salt.
- Crush gluten free pumpkin cereal. Soak bread in egg and pumpkin mixture and press into crushed cereal
- Cook crusted bread over medium heat on a greased griddle or skillet. Flip after 2-3 minutes (to avoid burning). Finish cooking another 2-3 minutes and transfer to oven.
- Serve French Toast with beer syrup and a dusting of pumpkin spice, cinnamon, and a drizzle of Vanilla Pumpkin Beer Syrup!
- 1 bottle dark gluten free beer (for non gluten free, pick your favorite dark pumpkin beer!)**
- 2 Tbsp gluten free vanilla syrup (like Jessica's Natural Vanilla Syrup)***
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- Combine beer, syrup and puree in small sauce pan. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer and whisk for 10 minutes.
- Drizzle over your brunch favorites, like the Gluten Free Crusted Pumpkin French Toast!
- ** Not a drinker? Try espresso--can be decaf if you like!
- *** don't have vanilla syrup? Try Vanilla Stevia to taste or vanilla extract (1 TBSP should be enough) and stevia to taste
Have you ever made syrup with beer before?
I love my eggs at brunch, I save my French Toast for dinner. What do you opt for at Brunch?
#PumpkinWeek2015 October 18-23
Join 6 awesome bloggers as we share pumpkin recipes on our blogs and social media for one pumpkin-y week ending in a giant pumpkin recipe link-up on Friday!
- Amanda from Diary of a Semi-Health Nut | Instagram
- Susie from Suzlyfe | Instagram
- Erin from Table For Seven | Instagram
- Becky from Olives n Wine | Instagram
- Katie from Talk Less, Say More | Instagram
- Giselle from Diary of an Exsloth | Instagram
Want to join in the fun?
Simply tag your pumpkin recipes on Instagram with #pumpkinweek2015 and/or join in the link-up on Friday! We will each be picking our favorite posts from the hashtag to share on our blogs Friday, so be sure to check each of the co-hosts’ blogs. (Please note that participating means we can share your photos—with credit—on our blogs and social media.)
Linking up with Laura for StrangebutGood, Tina and Deborah for Meatless Monday, Powered By BLING, Running on Happy & The Fit Foodie Mama for another round of Meatless Monday, and Fit Foodie Mama, Hello to Fit, Fairyburger, and Chocolate Runner Girl for Foodie Friday.