The title says it all–I’m in a pit of “I don’t know what to do” and frustration trying to figure out what to do about poor Emmie’s digestion and reflux. But at least we had some sunny days and nice walks to even out the downs.
Need some back story? Check out my Friday Catch Up from last week.
Weekend Recap 3/12
1) Emmie update: I don’t have great confidence that the dairy free diet is helping with Emmie’s digestion. Maybe it is helping a little bit, but not enough to be the real culprit, at least in my opinion. Also, her reflux has increased, rather than getting better. Friday was another hard day, then Saturday started off as a disaster and ended really really well (with regards to screaming). But these pleasant moments are the blip in the radar, and she spends a great deal of time in discomfort.
A HUGE thank you to my friends who responded to my SOS with support and some suggestions and stories of their own. It has given me a sense of a game plan for my discussion with our pediatrician. Each suggestion was something we’ve already discussed with the doctor, so I won’t be going all know-it-all on her.
Ps, at this exact moment, Emmie is taking a brief shut eye with her moose Wubbanub “Wubbs” on her face (not over her nose). It is hilarious. I would take a picture, but my phone is charging. Annnnnd she just woke up.
On the plus side, I just found a bunch of clothes in her current size that I had put in a different place (I KNEW I was more prepared!) so I’m excited about increased cuteness!
2) That said, Saturday after 10 AM was one of Emmie’s best days yet. After a day of either being asleep or awake and unhappy and a morning of not really wanting to eat or be settled, Emmie finally had one of her best nights. She was awake and happy and hanging out and not in pain, and it was lovely, if not an absolute pitty that Alex had to miss out on it because he was getting blasted at the hospital. He had an absolutely miserable call weekend–I think he got an hour of sleep? And it is especially hard for him because he worries about Emmie, and he worries about me worrying about Emmie.
Sunday morning was another good one for Emmie–I didn’t mind the time change because she was already up, lol–and we got ourselves all gussied up to go down to bring Daddy lunch. However, when I talked to him, he was in dire straights and told us not to bother because he probably wouldn’t be able to meet us. I was sad, to be sure; I wanted to see him, but when he is working like this, sending him food and making sure that he is at least somewhat taken care of is the only way I have to connect with him and love him during the day. That is why I make his food–so that we can save some money but also so that he can have a little something of me during the day. I just feel so helpless to help him otherwise.
It is a frustrating, confusing time, but I’m trying to focus on the positive: Emmie’s milestones and her happy moments, her adorableness in her new outfits (that I already had but finally found again–right under my nose!), her big blue eyes and funny little snarfer smiles (don’t ask, inside joke). I just want to help her and make her feel better.
I’m also revelling in time with friends: my friend who took Emmie for me and was a CHAMPION and Brianna, who I finally, after years of knowing each other virtually, got to meet and have a delish lunch with. She also brought Emmie the cutest outfit, and I can’t wait for her to wear it!
3) TV update: Downton Abbey is on Amazon Prime. If I have to stay inside, at least I have the Granthams and Crawleys. Fun Fact: I changed my ringtone to the theme song a few years ago when I was working at a particular job that called me a lot and made me miserable. I literally got to the point that I hated my phone, and changing to that song soothed my soul. What if Emmie cried the Downton Abbey theme song? That would be pretty sweet.
4) With all of the stress, I have been eating emotionally. Still dairy free, but that doesn’t stop me. Lots and lots of chocolate, and lots of dairy free muffins. I’ve made two sets of muffins that have disappeared in rapid order. As in, the blueberry banana cocoa protein muffins were gone… in 10 hours. And then Saturday morning, I woke up and made the new Kodiak Cakes Power Packed Blueberry Lemon muffin mix. I made some substitutions (to keep them DF), but even though I forgot the second egg (whooooops), they are still delicious!
5) Speaking of food, I received a big box of goodies from Nature Box! You might remember how much I loved Nature Box when I tried it years ago (remember my monthly unboxings?, and if you shop at Target, you probably have seen or tried their snacks!
Nature Box is small batch, flavorful, and healthy snacks made just for you (YEAH THEY ARE). Snacks made with no artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners, no corn syrup of any kind, no hydrogenated oils, and no MSG. Members join a wholesale, members-only club that gives them full access to all of the snacks!
Nature Box already had a wide variety of options, and they have expanded their line even further since I last had the subscription. Now they have mini meals, different size snacks, and even their own jerky!
I. Am. OBSESSED with the new Honey Dijon Turkey Jerky. Omg, it is some of the best jerky I’ve ever had. The flavor is spot on, not too sweet (and rather low sugar), and for this dairy free momma, they were gone in an instant. I also returned to an old favorite–the Blueberry Almond Quinoa Clusters. No milk and I almost ate the full bag in one go… NOT SORRY.
Want to try Nature Box for yourself? Go to my Instagram and enter a giveaway for $50 of free snacks! One winner will win $50 of free snacks, a free lifetime membership ($5/month value) and free shipping on their first order! Want to get 50% off your first box? Check out my instagram later this week for a special code (and give it some love while you are there!
Try everything from chocolate covered almonds to quinoa clusters to dried pineapple (yummm) to snack mixes to a bajillion other snacks!
(I received the same offer that Nature Box is extending to the winner in exchange for a review and mention, but I already love their products and all opinions are my own!)
If you were to change your ringtone to a TV series them song, which show would it be?
I love blueberry and lemon together, what is a flavor combo that you love?