Happy nearly the end of 2017! Today I’m sitting on my couch in the freezing cold remembering Alex’s and my last year end as un-parents!
Christmas Weekend 2017
Our Christmas weekend was pretty darn good! Alex had to work quite a bit, but he actually had Christmas Day off, so we made plans to hang out, chill out, and then go out for our annual Christmas movie and dinner.
Christmas Eve Productivity
Alex was on the pager until 7:30 Sunday night, but he wasn’t the only one who was productive! I:
- took Ridley to the dog park to get some of her crazy puppiness out
- got groceries for dinner that night
- washed baby clothes
- packed Yoshi’s bag for the hospital
- washed our clothes and sheets
- finished going through baby deliveries
- tried to clean up the apartment a little bit
- made Alex’s lunches for the week (I made him a GIANT frittata (as seen in my IG stories) cornbread muffins, and Brussels sprouts).
Alex had a pretty chill afternoon call, so he was able to come home for dinner, which was a great early Christmas present!
And then he got a call at 7:26. He was due to go off the pager at 7:30. GARRRRRRRR. Luckily, it was a woman who he had talked to previously, and she was super nice, so it was a 5 minute call and then we were back to our evening.
Which was inhaling barbecue mustard turkey burgers on pretzel buns with sweet potato fries. FREAKING DELICIOUS.
I also made my new favorite holiday drink: wassail + champagne. DO IT.
We closed out the night doing… I’m honestly not sure what, lol. I was pretty tired from being so productive! But I can guess that I was super uncomfortable, as that is how I spend the majority of my evenings at the moment. Yoshi likes to get RIGHT UP in my ribcage and make me feel nice and nauseated right around then.
Our last Christmas as not parents! We woke up to a chilly morning (just the tip of the proverbial iceberg, and I mean that literally!) and I took a secondary nap (I don’t sleep well right now) while Alex got a treadmill run in to start the day, then came down, showered, and we took Ridley out to the dog park, where we were delightfully the only ones there. She became enamored with the giant frozen water puck (from the water bowl), and that wore her the heck out (YES).
We opened presents and lots of chocolate (YAS) before I made Alex and I one HECK of a sweet potato hash (basically this recipe but with pretzel bun instead of cornbread) and that was enough to knock us out for a nice Christmas Day nap 😀
Then it was off to Star Wars! I have thoughts, but I will say that I was entertained during the movie, even though I thought the writing (rather than the plot) that is the issue. But it was definitely worth the time and money spent on a gigantor popcorn (they don’t even make smalls anymore…) and Freestyle Coke Zero 😀
And if I have to spend time with this dude…. well FINE.
We had reservations for dinner, but the movie finished way ahead of when we planned (we are smart, but math aparently was not our strong suit when making that rezzo), plus it was fa-la-la-freezing, so we decided to try to find something near the theater. With very little luck. We ended up at a place that… did its job in feeding us not half bad food, but not a place that we will be going back to. Fair food, hot mess of a place. Nuff said.
Holiday candy rounded out the night.
Friday Catch Up:
1) The foot has been sending as many mixed signals as possible, but it seems to finally be working its ish out. I’ve been keeping it in the boot since Friday with the exception of one walk around the block. That walk convinced me that I needed to get back in the boot. I’ve been in it since, and it has good days and bad. It doesn’t react at all to shock to the bone, so that is good news, I think I just really pissed off the ligaments. I was able to walk (like a goon) to my OB appointment Wednesday with minimal discomfort, and Thursday I actually forgot the boot completely and headed out the door with Ridley! It felt good, until the end of her walk, when it got a little finicky.
So, now I just have to not f this up. Because I’m so good at that.
2) Ridley didn’t really remember how to operate in her snow boots, but after a few salt-in-the-paws incidences, I put them on her. This is what she thought.
Best. Face. Ever.
She is also being so super snuggly right now. Probably because it is freezing. But I’ll take it. She needs to be careful when she is standing and sitting and laying DIRECTLY on the bump, though. As if breathing wasn’t already hard enough.
Speaking to this and to point 4, she has officially been restricted from sitting on my stomach. A) because it is getting increasingly difficult to do that and b) because Yoshi comes first. I came home from my OB appointment on Wednesday and what did she do? IMMEDIATELY tried to get on my belly and curl up. So we compromised with her sitting on my cross-legged lap.
3) I got to see one of my favoritest people ever, one of my old coaching buddies from CES. I can’t believe we didn’t get a picture of us, but it was just so good to see him and his wife and catch up. They moved to Asheville a year and a half or so ago, so I haven’t seen him, though we’ve kept in touch. So glad that I got to catch up with him while they visited family this Christmas!
4) WE ARE FULL TERM! 36 week appointment was on Wednesday 😀
Hilariously, after not gaining any weight (highly surprising) between weeks 32 and 34, I put on 4 lbs between 34 and 36. My jaw literally dropped. Oh, body, you are so weird. But we checked her size (she is measuring about 34 weeks, but we aren’t worried at all) and positioning (head down and all the way to the right, as she loves to be!). Her heartbeat was loud, clear, and right on, and then we added on a few new things–GBS swab and cervix checks (basically a papsmear). That was suuuuuper comfy, lol. My doc was pleased to note that I seem to be on track with a body that is making the necessary changes, but that labor wasn’t necessarily imminent.
I packed Yoshi’s bag last weekend, and Alex and I are going to pack our joint bag this weekend, plus practice with the car seat installation. We don’t have our own car, so we have to be prepared to use the LATCH system in any manner of vehicles.
Otherwise, we are just awaiting the arrival of a few more items from our registry (thank you family for our gift cards!), and then we are pretty much just sitting and waiting (and trying to breathe and maybe get some sleep) until the Yoshter makes her grand entrance!
5) Alex has tomorrow and Sunday during the day off, but he goes on the pager Sunday night. So if anyone wants to pop bottles with an 8 months pregnant lady, let me know! Who am I kidding, I’ll probably be asleep, lol.
I really want to work on a post for the past year, but I don’t know what should be the starting point. It is amazing to me that I took that first IVF shot New Years Eve 2016. I talked about it a little bit on Instagram yesterday, but it is just amazing how much has happened this year. Literally, as I write this, I’m getting a little nudge from Yoshi’s foot, and it just reminds me of how fortunate I am and how much I as a person have changed.
I have to say that I am really, truly proud of my brain, body, and heart. I have tested all to the max this year. And I’ve learned that each can take what I throw at them thanks to the internal and external love, support, and faith that I can call on. I am just so ****ing lucky.
Happy final days of 2017, my friends. Here is to a year of change that is finishing up its tenure and the year of change to come!Because other people need to know!Click To Tweet
New Year’s Plans?
Favorite seasonal drink?