Another Friday, another Friday Catch Up and another recipe for Easy Cheesy Summer Squash Fritters! Perfect for those of us who need CSA recipe ideas.
Let’s start with the Friday Catch Up before we get to the Cheesy Summer Squash Fritters recipe
It was kind of a big week… Posts You Might Have Missed:
- 1 2 3 My Secret is Out!
- A Note to My Infertility Warriors
- How to Save a Bad Training Cycle (Coaches Corner)
And now for the RANDOM:
1) I have enjoyed my time with Class Pass so much (all the reformer Pilates) that I grabbed the 3 class extension for my 5 class pack! The only sadface about it is that I am going to cancel my plan after using those. Reformer Pilates, especially the kinds that I am doing, won’t be that great of an idea as my belly continues to grow, so I am going to put myself up to investigating online prenatal Pilates videos. Any suggestions would be great!
2) I know I’ve talked about my lack of willpower when it comes to food before, but it has gotten REALLY bad, y’all. If it is a carb or hell, even around me and seemingly somewhat available, I will eat it. I am a food slut. Alex even got home early for dinner yesterday (as in, he got home in time for what should have been dinner time) but I had gone bonkers on staff meal at the restaurant (Chef made Cubans… I love bread and mustard and pickles and pork…) and was tapped out. Of course I still helped him with his pizza… and promptly overate (again) and felt like poo. I am the WORST.
Total aside, I wish you all could see how Ridley is sleeping right now. She is snuggled up against me, but upside down, with her front legs across me and her head on my foot. #ladylike
3) I guess ish is getting real. We have been given our first two baby books this week. And no, we still have not bought ANYTHING other than that onesie for our announcement that is in anyway remotely for the baby. I think because I am paranoid. Alex last night was talking about how we have to start getting things like a crib, and I was like HOLD YOUR HORSES WE HAVE MONTHS. I think I’ll feel better when we get past the anatomy exam. 6 long weeks to wait for that.
4) I promised to try to keep things not completely colored with pregnancy stuff, so…. I’m going to tell you that I am at wit’s end with my phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy S7, and in the past week, the battery has gone to literal $HI+. I might get 4 hours out of it, and it will turn itself off if the battery goes below 20%. Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do? Should I buy a power pack for it? I need to figure this out before Empower Race Weekend!
5) Ok, recipe time! This is another super easy recipe that is a major crowd pleaser. If you like summer squash. Which as of the moment, I cannot be around after 3 PM. Will explain that later.
Easy Cheesy Summer Squash Fritters (Gluten Free)
This was my solution of what to do with the admittedly beautiful summer squash that we received in our CSA box a few weeks ago. For more ideas of what to do with CSA produce, check out this post!
I knew that I would like the more paired down and simple Easy Zucchini Fritters that I had created, but I also knew that Alex would want something a bit heartier. Furthermore, as there was no way I would be eating these, I also knew I could have fun with the ingredients! So I loaded them up with zesty Monterey Jack cheese and played with the flours a little bit, and the end result was fantastic! And yes, that is a man saying that.
Whether you have an aversion to summer squash or just need to use up that CSA produce, try out these Easy Cheesy Summer Squash Fritters and serve them up at a cookout or for dinner–your friends and family will thank you!
Easy Cheesy Summer Squash Fritters (Gluten Free)
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 12+ fritters||Total:|
These gluten free easy cheesy summer squahs fritters are delicious, healthy, and adaptable to your favorite flavors. The perfect summer side to use up your CSA summer produce! A total crowd pleaser!
- 1-2 summer squash, shredded
- 3/4 cup gluten free cornmeal (about 100g)
- 1/4 cup gluten free chickpea flour (about 30g)
- 1 egg + 1/4-1/3 cup liquid egg whites OR 1/2 cup liquid egg whites
- 1 TBSP gluten free grainy mustard
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.* **
- Heat skillet to medium heat. When hot, coat with cooking spray or oil. Spoon out desired amount of fritter batter (I like mine about 2.5 in diameter) and press down to flatten to about 1/2-3/4 in thickness. Cover with pan top and let cook for 2-3 minutes, or until browned on the bottom and turning opaque throughout.
- Flip fritters, press down, recover, and continue cooking another 2 minutes.
- Remove, serve with desired dipping sauces, and enjoy!
*You may need more or less liquid or flour(s) depending on the amount of zucchini and also the wetness of the zucchini. If you have freshly shredded zucchini that you haven't pressed the moisture out of, you may need more flour. Additionally, as the batter sets, more liquid will come out due to the salt. The result will still be delicious!
Fresh herbs (dill, cilantro, rosemary, basil)
Garlic or garlic powder
Another great one to dip into ketchup. But that might be the pregnant me talking.Another great EASY CSA recipe idea from Suz! Cheesy Summer Squash Fritters! #glutenfree #recipe Click To Tweet
I need help with phone solutions!
Early/Middle Prenatal Pilates Video suggestions?
Do you like summer squash?