A quick weekend catch up to tell you about Emmie’s first illness, Alex’s birthday, and my latest fintess pursuits!
I decided I wanted to do a weekend catch up because we actually DID some things.
Weekend Catch Up 4/2
1) So, first things first, I didn’t mention it last week in my Friday Catch Up (or maybe I did?), but I got a cold/cough at the beginning of last week that left me blowing my nose and sounding lovely. I didn’t feel poorly, I just was congested and, well, blowing out the entire contents of my head.
Which speaks either to the volume of the snot or lack of content in my head. Works for or against me. Whatever. Moving on.
Alex got the junk later on that week, and on Thursday night, I noticed Emmie starting to cough a little and Friday morning, she woke up with a little cold. We had already planned to stay low Friday night (Alex’s actual birthday), and I’m glad we did because Peanut needed an earlier night. I beastmoded on my to-do list (including making Alex a chocolate peanut butter banana bread cake thing) and got laundry done, and that is a good thing, because the cold greatly exacerbated Emmie’s reflux, and we had to do laundry again on Sunday because she spit up so much. Her stomach also took a turn for the worse because of everything she was processing, so she was just a right mess.
I tried to keep to parts of the new routine, but I let her fall asleep in my arms and use her paci and rocked her. I figured that now was the time to comfort the little one. She looked so pitiful and puny, with her red eyes and boogers.
She still had some happy times, though, and still made progress with her new discoveries, including more use of her hands and even holding her feet a few times. One of my favorite moments this weekend was when she was in her Rock N Play watching me fix Alex’s lunches and we had a dance off! I would dance and shake and stuff and then she would flail her legs about, then I would do it, then she would. It was hilarious!
I’m hoping she starts feeling better today…
2) I honestly have no memory of what we did for Alex’s actual birthday. I think I cooked dinner? I really don’t know… Oh wait, I made Alex a sweet potato hash. Or that might have been the night before. I did make him a “cake” of chocolate peanut butter banana bread/cake. But that’s all I really remember. We were both super tired!
We also had already decided that we would celebrate his birthday Saturday night. And we did! We even got a child-less outing, thanks to Landon, who had come over to discuss some jewelry things and then offered to watch Em while we went to dinner. We weren’t sure if we should, based on how she was feeling, but Landon is a champ. We went to Basil Leaf and had wine and yummy food and felt very, very weird without the kiddo with us. But it was a great hour just to ourselves.
3) Speaking of time to ourselves, Alex and I both had good “workouts” this weekend–I did a Beg/Int Pilates Reformer class at Core Chicago on Saturday morning which was GREAT. Just challenging enough, and I could really feel it the next day thanks to the attentive instruction of the teacher. The class was only 4 people (and that is the max), so it attention to detail was paid. I will definitely be going back! I went back to Yoga Six on Sunday for a Vinyasa Flow, and I left the class with a similar feeling to the class the previous day: I didn’t sweat, but there were times when my body was used to fatigue, and I know I am going to feeling certain muscles tomorrow!
These classes are just what I want and need: real, concentrated work that breaks down the movements so that I do them properly, but in breaking down the poses and the speed, makes me WORK. It is amazing how sore you can get from moving slowly.
4) Speaking of Landon, Alex and I had brunch with Landon and her hubs on Sunday after they went to church and I went to yoga (my church, in a way). We loaded up Emmie in her car seat and walked the very very great distance of across the street for brunch and mimosas. Emmie did great, and sleep or played little games with us while we ate and hung out. It was the perfect way to “go out” aka pick up food and be in the safety of a friends place, where if your kiddo loses it, they are chill about it.
5) This is going to be a great 7 days. Emmie is going to feel better, Ellen AND my mom are coming to visit this week, and we might go to a baby gear consignment event (though who knows where we would put the stuff). Plus, Alex has the full weekend off, and my 30th birthday is next Monday!
We are going to be seriously #adults then: SAHM married to a doctor, with a baby and multiple pets, and both in our 30s.
At least you can count on us being hot messes regardless.
Alright, I’m off to have some chocolate. Have a great week, everyone!
Do you prefer HIIT workouts or ones that sllloooww it down?
Did you wear real clothes this weekend?
What does #adult look like to you?