That’s right, it is Friday Catch Up time! And this is a very special Friday Catch Up, because tomorrow is Alex’s and My Fifth Wedding Anniversary! It was also a big and busy week in our little world, so let’s get to it!
Did you catch the Weekend Catch Up?
Friday Catch Up 5/25
1) We have the new couch! Of course, it showed up in the last 15 minutes of the delivery window, but whatever. The morning was a wash–and nearly a washout–because of crazy storms, and then we had to wait for the couch. Thank goodness Em isn’t a toddler. She is much easier to entertain indoors because mostly we just do tummy time and practice rolling and happy baby. But finally, the couch came, and just in time for Alex to
sleep lay in it for a bit on Tuesday while getting paged like crazy and finally going in to the hospital (he was on call).
We ordered a storage bench to rest our feet on and slide to the side when we need the bed. A coffee table would be more stylistically appropriate, but upholstered corners and storage are more baby friendly. I have to say, I am loving the extra space tht we have in the living room without the chaise aspect of the couch. Emmie and I have been spending lots of time there!
2) Speaking of the Emster, she hit 4 months this week! She is definitely 4 months old, and that means that she is on the brink of #brainexplosion all the time, she is taking everything in, and she is fight fight fighting going to sleep. Remember that Stage 5 Clinger behavior at Mommy and Me Yoga? It continues. Honestly, I don’t mind any of it except for the sleep regression, and that is more from the fact that it is worse around me than it is around Alex. I also just feel badly for the little one.
This little angel face fought her morning nap, then slept for 2 hours. Then she completely refused and carried on for her afternoon nap, and slept for 2 5 minute spurts. Now she is asleep in my arms. 4 month sleep craziness, here we go! #wonderweeks #4monthsold #EmiliaClare #goodthingshescute #angelface #babygirl #sleepingbaby #naptime
We’ve had some epic meltdowns this week as she goes from super drowsy and basically asleep to DEFCON 5 in a millisecond as I stand up to put her in her crib, or start to drop her down. The first night in the crib went great, but since then we’ve been holding our breaths as she goes down. Once she’s out, though, she sleeps pretty well, so I am grateful for that. She did pretty well last night, though. So here’s hoping she is remember how to self soothe!
We did great with our rolling at the start of the week, now we are struggling. At her 4 month well child visit, I discussed that with our doctor, and apparently that is par for the course.
And that is the other big news for the Em this week! She had her 4 month well child visit, and she is doing GREAT. Emmie was so good during her appointment, and her doctor was super impressed by how awesome she was compared to the other appointments. A huge part of that is the fact that she isn’t so owie + how much she has matured over the past few months.
She still has a giant head, little body. 98th percentile head (see the above picture from IG), 12th percentile BMI. HA! I predicted as much–she grows out of things because her head doesn’t always fit, but pants etc are still huge on her.
This weekend, we are going to start trying some solid food with her, just letting her play with it, but she’ll still be nursing for nutrition. I have some avocado that I think we will try first. Mostly because it is ripe, and we would use it anyway, lol.
Then she had to get another round of vaccines–the same that she got at her 2 month appointment that made her so sore. Poor little kiddo lit up like a Christmas tree when they gave them to her! Later on, they started to hurt again, but it was time for me to feed her and then give her to Alex to put her to bed while I went to dinner with Landon and some other ladies (which was so much fun). After dinner, I went and got some dairy free sorbet and was so excited that they had chocolate… and then realized on the way home that I am SURE it has soy in it, like just about all other chocolate things. But I’ve already got her on Tylenol for her legs, so I’m hoping that will help with the tummyaches that might happen.
Unfortunately, her legs really bothered her midday Thursday, so much so that we had to leave our Stroller Barre class halfway through. I think the heat didn’t help either. Luckily, we were right near home, so I just took her back. Poor Nugs.
3) I had my psychiatrist check in this week! I hadn’t been in maybe 6 months? So it was great to talk about life and realize how much better I’m doing. Even with the little blips (like my anxiety and situational depression last month), I’m coping really well with the stresses of new mommyhood, even recognizing, assessing, and working through my moments of struggle. I really do love being a mom–it is like all my other jobs have prepared me for this career.
4) Speaking of family and Emmie and how happy I am, where I am started with a decision I made 12 years ago to go to UVA, which led me to meeting Alex ten years ago, which led to us getting married 5 years ago, to Emmie’s transfer and finding out we were pregnant last year. Alex’s and my fifth wedding anniversary is tomorrow (the 26th). If you want to see pictures of the big day, check out this post from our first wedding anniversary!
I said something to the same effect last year, but no matter how complex life gets, the easiest part of my life is my relationship with him. It is the one thing that I never have to question, or feel anxiety about, or have any negativity associated with. We can count the number of actual fights or “I’m really mad at you” moments on one hand. That doesn’t mean we don’t agree, or we don’t get short or annoyed with each other. We still challenge each other. But I couldn’t love our relationship more. And now that we have little Em, and I get to see him as a father, I couldn’t love HIM more. Here’s to many, many more years of celebrating our happy years!
5) Activity wise, I’m increasing some things but still being super careful. I walked a TON on Tuesday–to and from the dog park with Ridley, down to the psychiatrist and back, and by the end of the day (I didn’t even walk the dog the second time and let Alex do that!) I had hit 20k! I knew that was pushing it, so I didn’t do cardio or run Wednesday (I did the elliptical Monday, so Wednesday would have been a “run” day). Instead, I walked the dog, walked to Em’s appointment, walked the dog, and let that be it. Thursday, though, I ran 2x 10 minutes continously, the longest stretches of continuous running I have done yet! Unfortunately, as I mentioned, Em had the meltdown, so I didn’t get the rest of my workout with Stroller Barre, but I am trying to do banded clamshells, reverse clams, lifts, plank, and push ups as well, and I did that at home.
This weekend, I’m going to a reformer Pilates class (strict Pilates) and my favorite yoga class, plus fingers crossed Alex, Emmie, and I will get to have our family run (it is supposed to rain).
My other activity is eating everything in site. Multiple bowls of cereal in the middle of the night. #carbaholic
Today, I am meeting my former co-coaches and fellow new mommies for lunch!!
Have a great weekend, everyone! Happy Memorial Day Weekend, if you are in the US!
Do you live in a place where you can walk to appointments, etc?
Coffee table or ottoman?